Brake cleaner...

wisecobandit

I tend to use brake cleaner for cleaning off all the grot before tearing down saws, however it appears im using more and more of the stuff.

Only buy it from tool station (about £2.23 a 400ml can) but wandering what other people use? ive used 6 cans in just a week.

I know when I worked at Vauxhall they used to buy it in 25ltr drums and we used to put it in pump bottles to use so may have to look into that method but is there anything else others use that make economical sense?

I tend to use brake cleaner for cleaning off all the grot before tearing down saws, however it appears im using more and more of the stuff.

Only buy it from tool station (about £2.23 a 400ml can) but wandering what other people use? ive used 6 cans in just a week.

I know when I worked at Vauxhall they used to buy it in 25ltr drums and we used to put it in pump bottles to use so may have to look into that method but is there anything else others use that make economical sense?

old petrol from anything ive worked on that needed changing and morrisons equivalent of wd40 available in their petrol stations for £1.40 / 400ml

if i didn't live in a cold and wet clime I'd be tempted to go the route of some americans - detrergent water and a pressure wash in the sun

The problem with carb cleaner is that it evaporates quickly, and can also damage the surface of plastics.

I find Swarfega Jizer water rinsable degreaser in 500ml cans to be very good. It disolves grease very well and stays wet longer. It can be blasted off with the airline rather than using water as the name implies. RRP £4.50 plus vat, but cheaper 'trade'

I have used degreasers like jizer before using water to clean it etc but seems long winded with brushing it on and washing it off (haven't got an air line unfortunately tho makes sense how you do it)

I do use old fuel sometimes tho the other half complains about the loitering smell lol, saying that she does about the brake cleaner but atleast that evaporates in a few minutes.

I did think about a paraffin bath type thing but worry about dirt/rubbish in the carb etc.

I've gone down the white spirit/air line route. White spirit dissolves up the oily stuff pretty well, and stays wet well. It doesn't blast clean off particularly well, but a slight layer of oil left behind probably isn't a bad thing.

Alec