Firewood for new woodburner in Fakenham

David of Fakenham

Guys I had a person where we are at who installed a wood stove and he told me the reason he did it was he could pick up firewood for free.........I actually was stunned by this statement. He every time I'm falling keeps asking what I'm doing with the wood.

I 100% agree with what's been said and from my point I sure as hell am not busting my butt falling, limbing, bucking etc for some one to think they can get it for free.........

May be it should also be noted that lifting wood that has fallen could be treated as theft (well here in Scotland and in the states where we live it is).

Wood is a\ good way of heating but it ain't free unless you have your own trees and do it all yourself.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

Looking forward to our first year with our newly installed wood burner. We obviously need to source a supply of free or cheap seasoned or unseasoned firewood for next winter and beyond. Looking for about 6 cubic metres in or around Fakenham.

Thanks in anticipation for any help.

David

We can deliver a transit load of seasoned, split logs to fakenham but we charge £120 a load you can always give us a call if you dont manage to pick any up else where.

Firstly, nothing is free but you can be resourceful:thumbup:

The first lump of free wood I got was a fallen oak limb a farmer had dragged out of his field and left on a large grass verge - it had grass and brambles growing through it so was going nowhere.

Got me thinking and found another large oak limb in another ditch - asked at the farm and they said - "fill your boots, you are doing us a favour"......a few beers for the farm Manager later:thumbup:

Had another massive oak bough from the same farmer WITH his permission....followed by a bit from freecycle, family, friends, local ditches - fallen wood NEVER trespassing though!!!

I then got in to the servicing of chainsaws and get a bit of wood there - it's who you know.

So in short - get yourself a chainsaw and be prepared to get to know local land owners and others that you may be able to clear any fallen wood for - don't be too fussy - a lump of connie or poplar still burns:biggrin:

Pinching arbs cut wood off the side of the road is taking the proverbial as is trespassing on others property and taking wood from others land is theft!!

Most Farmers won't mind you clearing their ditches of fallen timber though:thumbup:

It's all graft but a bit of hunting and gathering is good for the soul but keep it legal!

Firstly, nothing is free but you can be resourceful:thumbup:

The first lump of free wood I got was a fallen oak limb a farmer had dragged out of his field and left on a large grass verge - it had grass and brambles growing through it so was going nowhere.

Got me thinking and found another large oak limb in another ditch - asked at the farm and they said - "fill your boots, you are doing us a favour"......a few beers for the farm Manager later:thumbup:

Had another massive oak bough from the same farmer WITH his permission....followed by a bit from freecycle, family, friends, local ditches - fallen wood NEVER trespassing though!!!

I then got in to the servicing of chainsaws and get a bit of wood there - it's who you know.

So in short - get yourself a chainsaw and be prepared to get to know local land owners and others that you may be able to clear any fallen wood for - don't be too fussy - a lump of connie or poplar still burns:biggrin:

Pinching arbs cut wood off the side of the road is taking the proverbial as is trespassing on others property and taking wood from others land is theft!!

Most Farmers won't mind you clearing their ditches of fallen timber though:thumbup:

It's all graft but a bit of hunting and gathering is good for the soul but keep it legal!

That good sound honest advice imo :thumbup:

Very true. Basically its doable but it tales a lot of work and resourcefulness.

We are lucky in that my uncle has a wood and i help in it but its not really accessible easily and is poor wood at the moment being mostly silver birch.

If you are a townie you listen out for buss saws. Local hotel to us had a massive redwood cut down and the wood was in piles in the garden. Dad asked and they wanted shot. Well i have probably got 12 months of wood from that. Two ashes in local pub were cut down so same scenario.

But them you are into needing a chainsaw, log splitter. Big enough wood store.

Sometimes you just can't beat a quick phone call. Pay the money and take a break and know you have good dry wood.

Very true. Basically its doable but it tales a lot of work and resourcefulness.

We are lucky in that my uncle has a wood and i help in it but its not really accessible easily and is poor wood at the moment being mostly silver birch.

If you are a townie you listen out for buss saws. Local hotel to us had a massive redwood cut down and the wood was in piles in the garden. Dad asked and they wanted shot. Well i have probably got 12 months of wood from that. Two ashes in local pub were cut down so same scenario.

But them you are into needing a chainsaw, log splitter. Big enough wood store.

Sometimes you just can't beat a quick phone call. Pay the money and take a break and know you have good dry wood.

Did you say redwood you mean sequoia ??? back home you'd get shot for burning that lol they go for high price saw logs lol