Limb walking advice?

cerneARB

Can anyone offer some advice for a student? I have only done limb walking twice. I did it on friday and was struggling with the idea of using one hand to hang on to the branch and adjust my klemheist knot at the sametime as i moved out along the limb. My klemheist knot didn't move.well with one hand on it..if at all! My tutor said it comes with practice!

What do you proffessionals do?

Thanks a lot.

I would start by practicing on long low limbs on a large tree so your maximising the benafits of having a high anchore point so you can put more weight in the harness and lessen the need to hold on to any thing other than your rope also maybe a tree with an open canopy and always choose the best route for your climbing line free from obstructions...my prefered knot would be a vt as it never jams and with a pulley under it so you can come back in one handed or the rope will self tend if there is enough weight on it....practice makes perfect!

It is mostly about practice. A good hitch will help, but the main things are good balance, a high anchor point to give a good rope angle, and making use of side branches and other parallel branches as aides to balance.

But mostly, just practice practice practice! Dont be too ambitious at first, but push your comfort zone as you progress.

the vt is a climbing hitch suited to a different climbing syle than the one your learning on as you are climbing arm over arm instead of just body thrusting its done by pulling up say 3-4 pulls then taking up the slack untill the weight of the rope will self tend any slack for you..it desends far suppior to any other knot ...i would stick wit what your on though to get some confidance up as the vt can be unpredictable if your not used to it

cerne, i find it helps to concentrate on where you have to get to and just go. the more time you take about it, and the slower you do it, the more of an issue trying to balance becomes....flowing in 1 smooth motion is the best way, and a good hitch is key. of course practise has much to do with it too.

my tutor did mention going for it and tried to get me to try and push off with my leg and grab a branch and squirrel out. Couldnt do it..didnt trust my leg to give me enough power to get out..try again next week.

Il keep doning what i been taughtand using the climbing sysetem i been taught..but have taken all your coments on board guys..thanks.