Unicender

D Mc

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be a stainless version but I will have my rope runner by then!

The rope runner looks very cool, I wonder if it will be as efficient in ascent mode as a Unicender, I want a Uni purely to replace my toothed croll in ascent, alas I only have limited funds these days for kit so all my purchases have to be something that will truly make my life easier and not just for the hell of it as much as I'd like to.

What I have now works and enables me to do my work easily, one day I will be looking to something like the Uni for access.

I use the Unicender for everything!👍

I'm still searching for the holy grail, the device that's good at everything, it's a bit like oXo it's good for making gravy that's about all though.

I like to mix it up, I'd by a Uni just to ascend with and maybe do the odd quick up and down jobs, for working the outer canopy still prefer the hitch climber.

The uni is not too bad doubled rope, will self tend beautifully if you pull into the device like with a spiderjack. Can run a revolver off your bridge ring to give a pulley option to make it easier to use with the tail deflected.

There are better devices for ddrt imo. The uni is amazingly good srt once you get used to it, but for me it lacks the finesse of say a Lockjack when used ddrt. As far as my experience goes, I don't think there's a be all and end all tool for ddrt and srt climbing.

There are better devices for ddrt imo. The uni is amazingly good srt once you get used to it, but for me it lacks the finesse of say a Lockjack when used ddrt. As far as my experience goes, I don't think there's a be all and end all tool for ddrt and srt climbing.

Indeed, my thoughts are like yours use the the tool best for the tas, I'm a hitch man myself never really thought of a lockjack as a finesse took compared to the smoothness and versatility of a hitchclimber set up, think I'd prefer the Rope Wrench for working the tree single line because of it being hitch based and smoother.

With the Uni I really think it would make a great replacement for a toothed ascendor in a rope walker style ascent system it's very slick in that set-up and allows quick bail out or work positioning.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all think I'm going to do it and buy a uni is there a particular rope that would be best currently looking at kermaster and cougar blue any help is much appreciated

Luke

I don't wish to derail the thread but have you considered the options?

I only mention this because quite a few Uni users have switched to the RW in preference and then moved to the Hitch Hiker in preference to the RW.

Of course I don't know what suits you best and if that is the Unicender, enjoy.

I haven't used a Uni so I can't help with rope choice.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

Hi old mill the answer to your question is yes I have but don't no a great deal a about either system and I'm new to srt however I've done some research into the uni and it seems to be a decent piece of kit apart from the wear issues but I was planning on using it with the drum attachment so it will hopefully illuminate this problem. I have been using a spiderjack for a while now and love it and as it is a mechanical that was another reason I looked into the uni maybe I need to have a look at these other options first though