Whoa lol

Craobh

cool .....I guess there more timber falled by hand stateside than here now so may be more tricks used

Buddy I've been falling for 30yrs and some of my friends still teaching me and I still want to learn

The hard or step you need a large enough dia and a big enough tree to actually make it work ie. get the action from the trees natural movement. the soft too really but the swing can be used on smaller dias there are kerf cuts too but so help me they are getting to last chance saloon and circus tricks lol.

I wish we had brought some of our pics back where I think there some of the cuts I described along with me jacking some which was real fun any well wet the pants stuff lol

I used a bottle jack on a heavy big but short lump .

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 3 basic variations of the dutchman I know Swing, hard or step and the soft all really are a manipulation of the holding wood and the back cuts are slightly different as are the faces used. All are designed to cope with the heavier leaners head, back and side.

I would not advocate the use of any of these methods to anyone as without proper knowledge they are dangerous.

In no way are these the only methods just I guess the ones I use

kinda wish I had shut up now lol

please no offense meant

I don't suppose any offense has been taken - but if I may comment (without causing offense) you could be interpreted as a little patronising.

There's a lot of skilled tree workers over here, a lot of them been doing the job for a long time. They know what they are doing. You may not have met them yet but they are there.

:001_smile:

I used a bottle jack on a heavy big but short lump .

sometimes it the only way you can get them to move is by jacking but as you pointed out they gotta be big enough to get the jack in aswell as the back cut and face or it won't work lol and then red faces all round .......which I've had and ain't afraid to admit it either.....the secret is ya don't make the same mistake twice lol .......if ya do then a change of career might be needed lol

I don't suppose any offense has been taken - but if I may comment (without causing offense) you could be interpreted as a little patronising.

There's a lot of skilled tree workers over here, a lot of them been doing the job for a long time. They know what they are doing. You may not have met them yet but they are there.

I'm sorry but I am from over here lol I only explained what was asked I am not and have said it is by no means the only way

I'll shut my trap and just read it prob for the best as things don't mix, I'm prob better off talking to guys on the other side of the pond lol

thanks anyway and best of luck

Now you have frightened him off Rob ! I was enjoying the interaction :001_smile:

Welcome to the forum Craobh. A lot of your terminology is right over my head. I pretty much read everything as well as I could and I was lost. I wonder if it could help if maybe you took some pics of your different cuts and how they are used, then maybe we can discuss similarities and differences in the techniques. Never to old to learn a new way.

Welcome to the forum Craobh. A lot of your terminology is right over my head. I pretty much read everything as well as I could and I was lost. I wonder if it could help if maybe you took some pics of your different cuts and how they are used, then maybe we can discuss similarities and differences in the techniques. Never to old to learn a new way.

I'm for that . Well said Andy .

The bore cutting thing is a mystery. The only thing I can put it down to is colleges teaching it, and the students getting the impression that anything with the slightest lean on it needs bore cutting, I've seen people bore cutting absolutely pointless trees before. I reckon i'm lucky if I need to make half a dozen bore cuts a year

is this what i was taught to he a "dog tooth" cut????

Also my current collegue worked in the US for a few years... Hes mentioned "bucking" im sure he said it is the same a ringing up a fallen/felled stem, not sure tho

Edited by TreePuncher
more info