Whats this worth

JOEWOLFE

Just wondering how much this butt is worth to anyone, a chap is coming in with his moblie sawmill to plank it and is paying £150, just wondering if im missing a trick and its actually worth loads?

Its sequoiadendron gigantium by the way

its 6.2 mts long, and 4ft x 4ft diameter at the big end

DSCN0144.jpg.8593ddbaa977f52e9039bd5275820114.jpg

We took down a big red wood last year and the customer said he had some one who wanted the big rings to make a sculpture but was happy to let hem go for nothing . Crap fire wood ( almost fire proof ! ) so I think you did well there !!!

yeh your probly right, originally the customer wanted the lot cut and split and taken down to his log shed, which is what weve done with the rest of it, but i told him it would be sh*t firewood, and with the money he gets for that stem he could get some decent seasoned logs............... although the whole reason we dismantled it was because he wanted firewood.

yeh your probly right, originally the customer wanted the lot cut and split and taken down to his log shed, which is what weve done with the rest of it, but i told him it would be sh*t firewood, and with the money he gets for that stem he could get some decent seasoned logs............... although the whole reason we dismantled it was because he wanted firewood.

Ours had been killed by the old " money fungus " We had to take some to his log shed as well . It was dead standing so he had a " test burn " and said it was ok but there was alot of smoke from his stack and I suspect not much fire !

We took down a big red wood last year and the customer said he had some one who wanted the big rings to make a sculpture but was happy to let hem go for nothing . Crap fire wood ( almost fire proof ! ) so I think you did well there !!!

Is this really the case???

The bark IS fire proof, thats why they live so long, they have survived many forest fires, but is the wood really poor fire wood???????

Is this really the case???

The bark IS fire proof, thats why they live so long, they have survived many forest fires, but is the wood really poor fire wood???????

Well , as we all have said at one time on here " All wood will burn if seasoned and bone dry " but it must be said some are better than others . If you stripped the bark stacked it , kept in the dry and aired it well I think it will burn but is the effort worth the output ? possibly , possibly not , I don't know so if anyone does I would be pleased to learn of their experience with it . I heard it was used for cladding ....