Safe contractor accreditation

Robert_S

Great that i just came across this thread at the perfect time. Got through a new contract for a commercial client today a included was this..

Please also supply with this signed form:

• A copy of the company’s current public liability insurance certificate stating cover equal to or greater then £10,000,000.

• The company’s risk assessment for all tree work, e.g. felling, pruning, climbing, etc.

• The company’s health and safety policy.

I was commissioned for the work last year too but as I joined late I was only asked to provide my public liability certificate. Forgive me for being stupid, I'm only a small company who employs other self employed guys as and when I need, but am I going to need to do a chas or safe course to obtain this h&s policy? I only have 2 weeks to get the contract back in by!

Any advice would be great. Many thanks :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chas or Safe are not courses, they are simply assessments of your H&S stuff.

If this client is asking for these documents then clearly you dont need chas or safe (otherwise the client would be hiring a company with either of those things).

So all you need to do is send them your risk assesment paperwork and company health and safety policy. You should ideally have these, as your insurance is pretty much worthless without them, if your hiring in self employed people then you need to be covering their H&S needs and your employers liability helps should this go wrong.

Am I going to need to do a chas or safe course to obtain this h&s policy?

Any advice would be great. Many thanks :)

No you dont

you can create your own policy , given that in doing so it meets with certain Statuory and regulatory standards.

The Mhasaw act gives guidance on what you need to do ,,

basic up shot being ,that you will ,, assess works processes for hazard and ascertain the level of risk, identify those who are potentially at risk from the hazard , that you will put in place those measures and controls to mitigate or reduce the risk , including ppe training correct operation and maintenance , have a means to record your findings and that you will review them on a periodic basis

iain

Edited by Yorkshireman

I am being told by a client ( camping and caravanning club) that I need to join constructionline to carry on getting work from them, I do maybe £500 a year work for them. I contacted constructionline and found its £90 + VAT to join and I have to go through SSIP?? Whatever that is?? Like Robert has said it just seems another way of taking money off me. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

Hi there, as an option you could consider ARB Approved Contractor whihc covers all the above and more, albeit it would cost you around about the amount you spend with them each year, i.e. £500 (+VAT:sneaky2:) as a 'small business' BUT I believe it is good value for money AND it may bring other opportunities.

Failing that, as a small business, I would advise to go through the CHAS/SSiP route (see CHAS - The Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme) to Construction line which will cost you £155 as a small business...+the COnstructionline fee of course.

Good luck.

Paul

If at the end of all these acrreditations, the successful contractor was to receive a' Pay Me Now ' certificate, and a Bank card from the government, which is handed to the site agent at the end of the contract and then the Site agent MUST then takes out a payment machine, swipes it and put the money straight into the contractors account, shakes hands then sign me up for the courses!!!:thumbup:

Ha. I agree. In my experience the more paperwork a commercial client needs the slower they are to pay. Private customers are defo the way to go!