Safe contractor accreditation

Robert_S

I have been told by one of my commercial clients that I have to be safe contractor accredited to do any more work for them, I have CHAS accreditation is it much different from that to attain for anyone that's got it.

Don't bother putting a link up I've seen the safe contractor site.

Cheers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Robert,

Nope, in theory, and in practice, as they both assess Stage1 H&S, i.e. basic documentary compliance, and are both members of SSiP (Safety Scheme in Procurement.) this means they've agreed mutual recognition so you can apply for SAFEcontractor as an existing CHAS acccredited contractor, provided you've got a min. 9 months validity left, without a further document submission. You do need to pay the SAFEcontractor memberhsip fee though. :sneaky2:

Alternatively, you could consider ARB Approved which includes CHAS and gives access to SAFEcontractor with a 50% discount on membership fees...and is your industry scheme, and assessese Stage2, 'on-site', and includes so much more! :biggrin:

Shout if you wanna know more.

Cheers..

Paul

Hi Robert,

Nope, in theory, and in practice, as they both assess Stage1 H&S, i.e. basic documentary compliance, and are both members of SSiP (Safety Scheme in Procurement.) this means they've agreed mutual recognition so you can apply for SAFEcontractor as an existing CHAS acccredited contractor, provided you've got a min. 9 months validity left, without a further document submission. You do need to pay the SAFEcontractor memberhsip fee though.

I though that was just for renewals? We had to make full applications for assessment for both schemes when we joined, the our CHAS did auto renew our Safe, so I'm hoping that it will also work the other way round! :laugh1:

I though that was just for renewals? We had to make full applications for assessment for both schemes when we joined, the our CHAS did auto renew our Safe, so I'm hoping that it will also work the other way round! :laugh1:

To be honest, in practice outside of the ArbAC scheme, I'm not sure how it actually works. With us, on approval, we issue an AA cert. of H&S compliance and the contractor presents this to SAFEcontractor instaed of their H&S documentation. They still have to pay the SAFEcon. membership fee, although this is reduced by 50% as an ArbAC, and of course complete their application form on the first occasion.

Your accreditations shoud, be equally recognised under SSiP, of which both CHAS and SAFEcontractor are member organisations...as hopefully ArbAC will be very shortly.

Cheers..

Paul

PS I hope I've answered your query but not convinced :confused1:

Cheers

The whole thing is money making pointless exercise.

Mmmm, I can understand why you say that but these schemes (n therein lies part of the problem as there are multiples of them...BUT only one ArbAC scheme:biggrin:) do highlight the importance of H&S compliance and improve awarness and, in turn, the culture within a business...where/if it needs to be of course.

Obvioulsy, in turn, they also improve your compliance and help you better fill your duties under H&S law as an employer (of both PAYE staff AND none PAYE staff) which is a good thing and protects you...and hopefully makes you sleep easier at night...with an accompnaying 'hot toddy' of course.)

They also present an opportuntiy perhaps to demonstarte that you are not a disreputable contractor, as they wouldn't apply...nor comply.

Hence I think they do have a place in the contracting industry and, 'luv em r ate em', they're here to stay.

There, r u convinced? :lol:

Cheers..

paul