quad fuel economy

carpenter1

We thought we were getting around 25 to 30 ish on Honda's was a 420 but now on a 500. And that is not working them hard towing.

I did do 93km the other day at work thou on about 3/4 tank never measured wot it took to fill it thou.

Most days about £7-10 quidish but most days will be doing 50 odd km

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there I've got a polaris 800 and it just drinks petrol if working hard see below but it cant half pull. as my dad said if you want horses (hp) you got to feed them + boys love there toys

Callum, does that quad (and associated specialized quad mounted machinery) really hold it's own in terms of cost per hour & output per hour against a 4WD compact tractor? I'm not knocking, but I can't see it myself.

I used to have a 500cc 4WD quad and even my 20HP Chinese compact tractor pissed all over it in terms of output and running costs. It just couldn't put the power to the ground, and cost a lot more to keep running.

Doobin I can't really say as I don't use a Compact tractor. But I would not think so if you had a small distance to transport the timber but over a larger distance with the increase in speed with the quad you would get more loads per day which may out weigh the extra running costs. Also the loads would be possibly be smaller (depending on the ground conditions) with the quad so you would need more loads per day. I made the mistake of selling my old Kodiak 400 (manual) which would work in the wood all day long on a tank of petrol, with the polaris 800 I've loads of power and it will pull a fair weight but fuel consumption is twice as much. It would certinally be intresting to have a compact tractor and a quad on the same ground and see which moved the most timber over a day. I personally use the quad for shooting as well so I can get use of it 2 ways, which I would not with a compact tractor!! Also take the trailer off and you have a machine that is built for fun!! and fun it is!!

Callum any chance of another pic of the yellow attachment??? The Quad will bring a smile to your face, is faster on long distance light loads, is cheaper to buy and maintain, can be used to assess site conditions and haul gear in to cut etc. The main plus is it fits onto the back of a pickup or into a van.

Hiluxstihl will up load photos tomorrow as the computer is having a slow day. Doobin I also forgot to say I've got a 15 year old boy and the only way to get him to work is to let him play on the quad!! Not so keen on work with the tractor!