Make sure you pay your tax bill or they will be after your house!

egnsean

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently attending an enterprise course and had a speaker in this morning from hmrc who was very good. Amazed me how much effort she went to to show us how not to pay tax, amongst other things she explained how to go about using a purchase of large equipment to offset tax not just for the current year but staggered to write off tax for multiple years. Was overall very informative and to be fair we do only pay tax when we are making good money. There is a whole section of hmrc in place to work out payment plans and we were encouraged today to contact them if we found ourselves in a situation where we couldn't pay, burying your head in the sand and ignoring the tax won't make it go away.

hmrc surely have to deal with anyone who can't and refuses to pay like any other creditor dealing with any other debtor and look at their assets to ascertain how to recoup the money owed. It all seems very fair to me.

To clarify, my dad owed HMRCE some money, not a huge amount. He didn't pay it. He buried his head in the sand and hoped they would go away, they didn't. After his death, I found multiple carrier bags stuffed with letters from the

Tax office, from bailiffs, from solicitors, from the bankruptcy court. This was the sort of Dad you put on a pedestal, I thought a lot of him. I could have lent him the money initially, but he ended up having to hand over the deeds to his house, because he wouldn't ask for help. He was allowed to stay in the house, till his death, it would then be taken by the State in lieu of the debt (still unpaid). We had to fight tooth and nail for two years, pay off all the costs and interests on the money too, and a team of solicitors to beat the system, which was totally stacked against us. I did win in time.

Insurances, yes make sure you have it, how can you not? When I was in deep crap healthwise I was so glad I had insurance to protect my income, it was one less worry to wind me up.

he sounded like a good and fair man, the system may of just overwhelmed him, in any case Rip.

Currently attending an enterprise course and had a speaker in this morning from hmrc who was very good. Amazed me how much effort she went to to show us how not to pay tax, amongst other things she explained how to go about using a purchase of large equipment to offset tax not just for the current year but staggered to write off tax for multiple years. Was overall very informative and to be fair we do only pay tax when we are making good money. There is a whole section of hmrc in place to work out payment plans and we were encouraged today to contact them if we found ourselves in a situation where we couldn't pay, burying your head in the sand and ignoring the tax won't make it go away.

hmrc surely have to deal with anyone who can't and refuses to pay like any other creditor dealing with any other debtor and look at their assets to ascertain how to recoup the money owed. It all seems very fair to me.

the bumph sounds great just remember who her employers are and hope your never on the receiving end!!

I'm a bit new to the forum etc, so bear with me. I've read the whole thread, and still probably none the wiser. I'm a Gardener/Tree Man. Had my NPTC tickets for about 10 years because I got bored gardening and fancied working with trees. Finally plucked up the courage after all this time to go for it with the tree work. I've had an employee for 6 months, the business is growing, slowly but the accountant seems happy. Only problem is, I tied myself to the wall stumping up for HMRC's money for previous tax year, managed to do it... just. This year I have made some big purchases - truck, trailer etc and although I have turned over more money, I''m waiting with baited breath to hear what the accountant says I will owe. Nothing hopefully, otherwise squeaky bum time. Accountant says it should be peanuts because of expenditure, but it still doesn't help when you are trying to expand (on a small scale) yet still trying to guess what money to put away each month for Mr Osbourne, in case he comes knocking! The joys of self-employment. I guess if I bust my leg up a tree I could still do some weeding!

Now if I was a cynic, I would say the subsequent tax investigation I had to endure after sorting my Dads affairs was brought forward out of spite for us winning the case. I can guarantee the investigations are not a pleasant affair, they really try to trip you up, there is no "nice" side to HMRCE, don't be fooled by a pretty face fronting it up for educational purposes. They are not there to help you, they are there to get the Treasurys monies, simples, if it means placing your testicles in a vice and tightening it up, they will.

Andy

Your not a cynic that is precisely the attitude HMRC have if you are prepared to stand upto them and fight. We have now had 4 years of ongoing HMRC investigations and every time we win they come back on a different more stupid tack. Quite frankly it is now pure harassment which many would have just paid for a quiet life. Fortunately I am a qualified accountant and can prove my point with reference to the specific tax legislation but this type of bullying by HMRC needs to be stamped out which is why I am prepared to take the case to the tax tribunal.

Andy

Your not a cynic that is precisely the attitude HMRC have if you are prepared to stand upto them and fight. We have now had 4 years of ongoing HMRC investigations and every time we win they come back on a different more stupid tack. Quite frankly it is now pure harassment which many would have just paid for a quiet life. Fortunately I am a qualified accountant and can prove my point with reference to the specific tax legislation but this type of bullying by HMRC needs to be stamped out which is why I am prepared to take the case to the tax tribunal.

And is exactly why I use a Chartered Accountant these days, it costs more but gives me a better peace of mind. :001_smile: