stump grinder teeth sharpening

hamdogg

Hi all, just wondered what evay one used to sharpen there stump grinder teeth with, ive just been using my bench grinder with a fine stone wheel but it doesnt seem to get a decent finish on the tooth, i know the diamond discs are prob the best thing, just wondered if there was some cheaper options?

Hi all, just wondered what evay one used to sharpen there stump grinder teeth with, ive just been using my bench grinder with a fine stone wheel but it doesnt seem to get a decent finish on the tooth, i know the diamond discs are prob the best thing, just wondered if there was some cheaper options?

when i had a sharpening service i used to sharpen stump grinding teeth. the ones i did were tungsten so very hard. so use a diamond wheel for getting them back up. but its the angles as well that need to be spot on. i know that the ones i did the cost of sharpening them it was cheaper to buy new teeth.

normal grinder will make them get to hot and as very hard normal grit stones do not grind them just wears the stone out and can melt the solder holding the tips in.

Found the diamond disk on an angle grinder way too slow and only good for very light touching up.

I have used green stones on a bench grinder but the ones we got recently from machine mart or somewhere similar were dogpoo, I used some years ago that were much harder and made a better job of it but not sure what they were so not allot of use I'm afraid.

When I used to sharpen teeth I had a 6" bench grinder with a green wheel on one side and normal wheel on the other.

Grind the body of the tooth back with the normal wheel and then grind back the tungsten with the green wheel.

It's all about getting the angle right.

Don't do them anymore as reckon I can earn enough out of one set of teeth to not need to. Best decision I made, used to hate that job everything getting covered in dust.