NEW AFAG 401 climbing best practice

Arbocop

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The picture (figure 2) appears to show someone felling a top out whilst anchored in with the side d's not the bridge.

Current best practise? Discuss.

he is definatly anchored twice which is recomended and best practice although it is not the best way imo

ideally i would chocker climbing line so that

a it can not split and squash you

b if needed you could descend easily

c if god forbid a rescue was needed it would be so simple

If you have another look I'm sure you'll see he's anchored in twice.

Side D's (wire strop) and front bridge (climbing line)

:001_smile:

I know he's tied in twice but using the side d's when felling tops out is bad practice as if the top tears as it goes your strop / lanyard and climbing line pulls tight. This is ok on the climbing line as the loop in your line runs round the stem only and as it is attached to your bridge and will simply pull you closer to the stem. With the side d's however the loop rund behind your back meaning you are inside it; therefore if a top tears and then hangs you will be quickly asphyixiated by the pressure on your diaphragm. This is an uncommon occourance and we all fell like that at times I'm sure, but it has killed quite a few guys in the us and canada when felling tops out in the forests there, and I was taught to attach the lanyard to the bridge for topping out.:001_smile:

I know he's tied in twice but using the side d's when felling tops out is bad practice as if the top tears as it goes your strop / lanyard and climbing line pulls tight. This is ok on the climbing line as the loop in your line runs round the stem only and as it is attached to your bridge and will simply pull you closer to the stem. With the side d's however the loop rund behind your back meaning you are inside it; therefore if a top tears and then hangs you will be quickly asphyixiated by the pressure on your diaphragm. This is an uncommon occourance and we all fell like that at times I'm sure, but it has killed quite a few guys in the us and canada when felling tops out in the forests there, and I was taught to attach the lanyard to the bridge for topping out.:001_smile:

IMHO

what makes bad practice in this case is not know ing the risk exists, in the same way there are somme very significant risks assosiated with choakering arround stemms, small stems, long krab, wide gate is a recipy for disaster, but as already said an excellent way of controlling a hazard when it exists.

i had to investigate an accident were a guy came very close to leaving the gene pool and all thatsaved him was his choise of side strop and the afct that it failed at a relitivly low load.

in this matter though he was young, inexperianced, in an ash tree in spring, on pecie work, taking out a 30 foot+ section with a high load winch pulling it and a standard cut working with a guy how he did not usually work with.

now look at the chain of events and think was there a risk there ........

as for the afag guide picture, remeber these things are used to set out a basic minimum standard and methods as mentioned above build on those

PS HI NODD hope all is well with you, i think you know my feelings about splicing and how to take it forward. chat soon

kev

he is definatly anchored twice which is recomended and best practice although it is not the best way imo

ideally i would chocker climbing line so that

a it can not split and squash you

b if needed you could descend easily

c if god forbid a rescue was needed it would be so simple

Can you describe exactly how you would do this please? I have seen guys tie a running bowline with their climbing lines to choke around the stem and then decend down only one side of the rope using a figure 8 to back-up the friction hitch as it is under twice the load as you are only on one side of the line.

Is this what you meant or did u mean something different?

Linda

these leafletts would support ACOPS in there status it you dont have to do them if you can proove you are doing it a better way a simple example of this may be a thing such as the 12492 helmet, if vyou use one with greater protectiob thats fine but not lesser

does that help

Linda

these leafletts would support ACOPS in there status it you dont have to do them if you can proove you are doing it a better way a simple example of this may be a thing such as the 12492 helmet, if vyou use one with greater protectiob thats fine but not lesser

does that help

Yes, thanks. It just gets a bit confusing sometimes with "shall", "must" and all that malakey... "Must" to me means "this and nothing else" sort of. The leaflet doesn't actually say that you can do differently (above and beyond as it were), except for in the section on Type A chainsaw trousers. But perhaps I'm the only one to get confused?

linda

i seem to spend my life debating this stuff with the inforcers etal and it confuses the hell out of me which is why i try t getto the bottom of it so i can help people understand what duties are being put on them, but the english legal system is very complex and it is that that will test all of this in the end. when push comes to shove do your best if in doubt ask

kev