zig zag failure?

Dilz

so cross loading of the carabiner and sudden stops causing higher forces could have caused this failure.....thanks Petzel for a prompt and detailed statement:thumbup:

Where did you see that? Petzl are still only assuming this was the case.

From the Petzl statement,

"Taking into account the information that we currently know of this incident, Petzl is now conducting a battery of tests to understand the precise causes of this accident. To date, our preliminary in-house tests do not show this potential failure even under high loads (cross-loaded, side-loaded or loaded off axis) of 10-15 kN. We are continuing different testing scenarios to try to understand the failure."

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, just in case I haven't read every thread and covered every post (thankyou Mr Bullman); Treetools did a test on the ZZ today. It gave out at the swivel at around 15KN I think but the details are on the Treetools blog if anyone is interested.

Apaprt from that; MaseW who is my right hand man has retired his as of now.

Yep saw that, should be interesting.

I use a ART primus with a 22kn rating an ropes with a plus 20kn rating and krabs.

Why is the ZZ only a 10-15kn rating that's the weakest component in the system by design ?.

I know most arbs would love to be 100kgs and ripped :001_tt2: but the safe working load is very close I'm at 87kg which would be an 8.7kn swl. So leaving only 1.3-6.3kn mbs of what if is IMO not enough !.

I'd expect to use a minimum of double my weight for a swl, for me at least 17.4 kn so that if I did slip and fall 10 or so feet I have half a chance.

1kg equals 0.97-98kn

I can't remember the figure but the further you fall the great you weigh, be safe chaps.

I'd still be concerned that the connection point could give out under a bit of twisting, if that is the case. Sometimes this can happen during a climb if you're not watching your gear all the time. I'll wait until the full findings are out but I'd be more than a little worried climbing on a ZZ at the moment.

We spent this afternoon in the office checking gear, Numbers, load points and everything in between. We check gear most days but this has just made us a little extra careful.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Edited by Taupotreeman

Lol, ya you guys can swing all you want 70-100 ft up there, and while your swinging you can think about that pic.

Reduncnacy is such a bitch....enjoy.

Some of the macho idiots onn this site are just that...macho idiots.

Enjoy your ZigZags, and be sure to keep an eye on your parts, you just never know when plastic is going to go pop.

Lol, ya you guys can swing all you want 70-100 ft up there, and while your swinging you can think about that pic.

Enjoy your ZigZags, and be sure to keep an eye on your parts, you just never know when plastic is going to go pop.

What? What are you talking about?

I use a ART primus with a 22kn rating an ropes with a plus 20kn rating and krabs.

Why is the ZZ only a 10-15kn rating that's the weakest component in the system by design ?.

I know most arbs would love to be 100kgs and ripped :001_tt2: but the safe working load is very close I'm at 87kg which would be an 8.7kn swl. So leaving only 1.3-6.3kn mbs of what if is IMO not enough !.

I'd expect to use a minimum of double my weight for a swl, for me at least 17.4 kn so that if I did slip and fall 10 or so feet I have half a chance.

1kg equals 0.97-98kn

I can't remember the figure but the further you fall the great you weigh, be safe chaps.

Dude, you have your figures wrong.

100kg = 1kn

so

10-15kn would be between 1,000 - 1,500kg (ie 1.5 ton)

The last bit is correct though Alex. My offsider was explaining it to me earlier in round figures; the further you fall the greater the weight. We did work out how much a 5m fall would mean in kilos but I can't remember. From the sound of it though the guy didn't actually fall 5m. The way I read it, and I stand to be corrected, there was no slack in the line at all.

Er wtf is your problem? :thumbdown:

The last bit is correct though Alex. My offsider was explaining it to me earlier in round figures; the further you fall the greater the weight.

Yes indeed, i was just on about the figures.

Even with this in mind, you would have to fall a long long way to exceed 1.5tons.