Woodfuel Chipper

renewablejohn

The Kesla works reasonably in Finland on its home market in conjunction with silage trailers as chip shuttles. Scandinavia's forests are generally very flat, and quite significantly better managed than the UK's. Harvesting residue's are stacked as secondary produce as the harvesting operations are carried out. Often the terrain chipper will only chip into its bunker whilst one of its shuttles is away. It means the chipper can be working continuosly.

John, what gives you the impression that the chipper is the slowest link? Its the transport to trackside that takes the longest...

Mr Ed

Output is determined by the speed of the chipper you can always add more trailers as trackside distances increase. Its the same with silage we have 2 to 4 trailers at hand depending on distance to be carted.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John will you ever agree with anyone lol ? Silage is a different ball game to chipping. I see how your drawing comparisons but in reality there isn't any. Contact some of these people and come out to site and see for yourself. Speak to people that operate these machines on a daily basis. We are only trying to give sound advice and save you from expensive mistakes.

Mr Ed

Output is determined by the speed of the chipper you can always add more trailers as trackside distances increase. Its the same with silage we have 2 to 4 trailers at hand depending on distance to be carted.

RJ, I personally think that you are talking a bit silly, to put it mildly.

Do you not think that that if there was a profitable way of doing this in the methods you have described that there would be an abundance of contractors whizzing round the countryside with six plastic tubs on trailers?

The comments that have been made about this are from guys that have been in the game a long time and KNOW the costings and practicality of working methods.

To compare producing chip from brash on a mechanically harvested site with a silage operation is also very silly, and would not produce chip below a bought in price as Mr Ed quite rightly says.

The conditions on a harvested site are so diverse they cannot possibly be compared with a silage operation.

On lots of mechanically harvested sites you just could not travel or work with pretty standard equipment , put on top of that the amount of men and machines you are now describing to do the operation, when the brash removal to roadside could be done with one machine would indicate that you are blinkered to say the least.

• 3 weeks later...

The conditions on a harvested site are so diverse they cannot possibly be compared with a silage operation.

Hi Guys

Here is the pictures of one way, use the forwarder after you have extracted the cords.

High volume , chip quality from a drum, go any where and you can tow the trailers around site with ease.

When you finished lift the chipper of with the loader and go do another forwarding job.

PICT0200.jpg.4cbade364bf58a8cbeb38c1a7346b779.jpg

PICT0208.jpg.42c9c7c773c712689aa57b61954a9077.jpg

I have used a big woodsman, wasnt overly impressed. It didnt seem to have the ability to pull in or crush as it should, and the chute would block constantly unless the flap underneath it was open all the time.

Havent used the conehead personally so i cant really compare the two.

This one was blocking up with wet but leafless poplar! I think it was a 790, although I could be wrong about that.

18XX. 275hp John Deere, same model as was displayed at the APF.

I'm not going to get into a Dynamic VS Woodsman debate here apart from this - If I wanted the better chipper the conehead wins by a mile - but currently, the woodsman is available in far better configurations, and has far superior dealer backup.