Woodfuel Chipper

renewablejohn

This set up is, IMO counter productive for shuttling woodchip from chipping site to road haulage unit as the chipper is not working whilst the load is being transported, I looked at a forwarder mounted chipper fitted with a 20" chipper, a 400hp engine and a small, high tip chip bin for tipping into bulkers, speaking with the driver it took 9 minutes to fill the hopper feeding from the stack, even the shortest trip to the tip site meant that you were lucky to be chipping for 50% of the time making the throughput figures less that 50cu/hr.

hardly good production for the outlay.:thumbdown:

I still believe that moving the brash and blowing the chip into the trailer is the most productive option.:thumbup1:

Bald Ed

I totally agree with you regarding the downtime as I said before the operation needs to be geared to the slowest item which is the chipper and then sufficient trailers to keep the operation constant. Did you notice the downtime of the chipper between grab loading again a feed system similar to a combine would improve production rates.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bald Ed

I totally agree with you regarding the downtime as I said before the operation needs to be geared to the slowest item which is the chipper and then sufficient trailers to keep the operation constant. Did you notice the downtime of the chipper between grab loading again a feed system similar to a combine would improve production rates.

The only machine that I have seen that is built to pick up from the floor in the way you mention is this but I can see a whole heap of problems and issues that it will run into working on the forest floor. I do not know what application that this was built for or how succesful it was.:confused1:

JENSEN_Sondermaschinen_a141_pickup_zapf_L01.jpg.379defa9fd58d0fc14350a5b8ee428cb.jpg

Dear lord ! The machine you refer to is for harvesting standard willow biomass and has a small stem diameter.

Chip forwarders are best kept chipping that is why depending on distance they nearly always work with a chip shuttle as we have said before. A tractor trailer with high sides. The chip forwarder stops chipping for maybe 6 minutes while it tips.

As I have said before terrain chiping (a chip forwarder) works well on clear fell but not in the woods. There you are best bringing the wood to roadside for chipping, even then you can chip with your chip forwarder and hightip into sand wagons or tractor trailers.

Look at Alastair Beddels http://www.pracbrown.co.uk

Obviously Kesla spend a great deal of money not listening to people

Click on bioenergy kesla 4560c container

http://www.kesla.com/videos/index.php?.Kansio=bioenergy&play=ok

I cannot see how anybody could make this bit of kit have a reasonable output.

John i agree it is an over priced piece of rubbish, chipper is expensive, putting the crane on the chipper costs a fortune and th chip bin is way to small.

Complete waste of time for biomass.

The Kesla works reasonably in Finland on its home market in conjunction with silage trailers as chip shuttles. Scandinavia's forests are generally very flat, and quite significantly better managed than the UK's. Harvesting residue's are stacked as secondary produce as the harvesting operations are carried out. Often the terrain chipper will only chip into its bunker whilst one of its shuttles is away. It means the chipper can be working continuosly.

John, what gives you the impression that the chipper is the slowest link? Its the transport to trackside that takes the longest...

i have worked alongside prac browns chip forwarder ferrying chip from the wood to the tip site. 220hp 4 wd tractors with 18ton silage trailers and the pair of us struggled to keep up with him

Was that clear felled whole trees or brash as the output for whole trees should be higher than for brash. I am surprised you only had 2 trailers for that size machine I would have expected at least 3.