Woodfuel Chipper

renewablejohn

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buzz

But how do you make the brash dense enough on the forwarder to make it worth your while extracting without the use of a baler.

Its hard to explain to someone without them having actually done it, but when you grapple and stack brash on a forwarder, its essentially as dense as a bale anyway.

And the point we're trying to make is that even WITH a bailer its not worth doing unless your being subsidized.

Biomass operations only really works if its done in conjunction with conventional roundwood harvesting.

Its hard to explain to someone without them having actually done it, but when you grapple and stack brash on a forwarder, its essentially as dense as a bale anyway.

And the point we're trying to make is that even WITH a bailer its not worth doing unless your being subsidized.

Biomass operations only really works if its done in conjunction with conventional roundwood harvesting.

But surely that involves double handling. loading onto the forwarder and then offloading again into the chipper. In the time it takes to load the forwarder you could have chipped the brash

i know i can fit a serious amount of brash in my big trailer, especially conifer or spruce, just give it a good squeeze and push it down then i throw a ratchet strap over it, but when i am not on public roads then the skys the limit,anyone who started off without a chipper knows the art of filling a trailer,

But surely that involves double handling. loading onto the forwarder and then offloading again into the chipper. In the time it takes to load the forwarder you could have chipped the brash

Still easier than double handling chip, and you only take one machine into the woods.

And thats if youre lucky, a lot of estates/contractors have been subsidising or harvesting roundwood chip at a reduced rate for some time now to keep other produce moving. In a real world you could not buy small roundwood,harvest and chip and haul chip for the end price especially with the penalties on moisture content, the cost of handling and chipping brash far exceeds that of roundwood , to try and justify this by using smaller but less efficient machinery just doesnt stack up imo

if you have never crane fed brash into a small chipper you will not realise that you have to crush it with the grabs first if feeding a large quantity into the hopper.

trust me, i got a 5-400 and you need to crush or feed smaller uncrushed quantity.

good luck with the ibc idea, let us all know how that works out for you

I have just lost a contract to Tillhill's brash bailers in N Wales purely because the are subsidised.

- sawtooth - to say there is good money to be made by investing money in the equipment you suggest is extremley mis-leading.

Buzz -Well met the people buying the kit and they work across the country thats all I will say

This topics interesting and will deffinately be interesting to see how it pans out

Goodluck