Cost of log stores

Axholme

Ok so you might have had enough of my log store thread but I really want to get this right and provide a store that people want/need.

I'd like you all to post on here what you think our products are worth. I think the price is putting people off, or is it the wrong time of year to be marketing these? It's a difficult product to compare others to - most are made using feather edge, felt roofs, untreated timber.

As requested I have built a larger store to hold 1.8 cubic metres.

They are built to last with a 15 year guarantee by using tanalised timber. My original prices and details are below.

Log Box - 1Hx1Wx1.2L The area inside is about .8 cu metre. £210 inc delivery erected. We can send it with dry, seasoned Beech hardwood logs and a net of kindling inside for an extra £70. The log box will hold just over a builders sack. Amount of logs delivered with the box will be about 180 - contents of 1 full builders sack of .71 cu metre.

Small upright log store - 1.8Hx.5Wx.9L The area inside is about .8 cu metre. £240 inc delivery erected.

Large upright log store - 1.8Hx.5Wx2.1L The area inside is about 1.8 cu metre. £315 inc delivery to erect yourself.

5976643442f38_march13078.jpg.df2732161ac514fe0532d4ce8193d8ca.jpg

This is our standard store, all tanalised wood, felt roof, hold just over 2 cubic metres logs (10 barrow bags). £220 including local delivery and installation. Have made a few modifications since this picture was taken. Now includes a divder so one half can be refilled without having to completely empty the store

008.jpg.b0114aeadb636ffa6e9fa6f8e3dd57df.jpg

my log store sales have dropped right off in last 4 weeks!!!

they normally start really moving in end of august & through the winter have a few odd sales through the summer to people who have just had a stove fitted!

charge what they are worth i normally sell more logs stores to customers that have called into the yard to collect logs & see a log store or to people who have bought ones friends

they look round em remark on the quality & then ask how much some a suprised at how cheap they are some are horrified at how i dare ask so much for them & make me a lot lower offer which i politly decline to accept!

i also do a special starter pack deal log store logs kindling fire lighters etc makes em think there getting a good deal i just still charge exactly the same as what i would have charged for the log store & logs & chuck in a bag or 2 of kindling & a pack of fire lighters foc!

they look a good quality product

dont under sell them your better making a good profit than selling them with a tiny margin!

dont under sell them your better making a good profit than selling them with a tiny margin!

I agree. I'd rather put plenty of time and effort into them and be pleased with what I sell.

I am being a bit impatient though. I only started building them a couple of weeks ago and people have to fine out about them.

I've started walking, now I really want to run.................

I agree. I'd rather put plenty of time and effort into them and be pleased with what I sell.

I am being a bit impatient though. I only started building them a couple of weeks ago and people have to fine out about them.

I've started walking, now I really want to run.................

I wouldn't even think about wanting to run just yet. I keep changing the style and shape of mine depending on what people want. Nowadays i ask what size people are wanting and make it to their requirements and price accordingly. I make all my stuff in my garage, so i only make things to order now. Wish i could expand, but have no where to expand into. Keep meaning to enquire about workshop rates but as its only a hobby i keep putting it off.:001_smile:

Is a 15 year guarantee realistic?

I haven't used any timber recently that I thought would last 15 years in someone elses care.

Are you going to come unstuck in 14 years when it turns out the treatment used on the wood wasn't all that good after all?

On the other hand, how much meaning would a customer put into the 15 years anyway? I wouldn't expect it to last 15 years if I bought one. I doubt I would be living in the same house in 15 years and I'm damned sure i would have lost the receipt anyway.

But there are those that would turn up on your doorstep in 14 years and 364 days, receipt and broken log store in hand.

I build log stores to customer specs and sell them in the Cardiff area. Some examples are shown here... Log Stores | Things From Wood

My stores are built from 2" x 2" framing materials. Roof and sides are clad with 5" x 1" feather-edge. Base is 3" x 1" lengths on 2" x 2" joists. Materials are dip-treated. Stores are raised above the ground to prevent the wood being in direct contact with it.

As a rule of thumb, mine cost approx £100 for each cubic metre of internal volume. Price includes local delivery and installation. I've tried selling self-assembly log stores further afield, but shipping prices always seem to take the price above a level which customers are prepared to pay.

In terms of a selling price, just work out your costs and how much profit you'd expect to make. If nobody buys, you've either not found your target market or the price is too high or both.

Edited by mattel
Spelling

Who's your target market? Would they know the difference between untreated wood, treated wood (like that cheap crap they spray on cheap sheds) and tanalised wood? If not they would be going on price if two stores "look" the same.

How many woodstore buyers out of 10 a) would recognize tanalised wood b) are going to want to pay for the quality it needs to be for it to last 15 yrs?

Given the relatively small size of these stores, it is unlikely knowledgeable buyers who use wood for primary heat would want one of that cost/quality IMO, which leaves unknowledgeable (is that a word?) buyers who installed a woodburner because it's "green" or because it looks good when they light it only on public holidays, now there's probably a lot of those folks about, but would those folks recognize the difference between your posh 1.8cu £315 store, and a crap 2cu M £120 treated softwood store?

ignore me I'm a cynic :lol:

If I was a log buyer, typically a user who lights up at the weekend, who buys a cube here and a cube there, I'd definitely buy one of your log stores. They look great, look solid, and come erected. Job done for me. Forget all this blah blah blah, is it this is that. They look really good. Sell em.....:thumbup1: