trango clinch or art positioner ?

nathan marshall

Depends on your intended use! As a lanyard I see no problem, as a self belay device it's questionable.

Marc I've seen you use it to self belay countless times to extend your rope with your lanyard when you've run out of rope maybe that's why it's worn out :thumbup:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the positioner very sketchy the amount of times when throwing a big saw around on a chog I would catch the lever and slip backwards cacking my pants so I sold it and got a cinch.not had any of the above problems and you can run it on a thinner rope which is a big plus.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I found the positioner very sketchy the amount of times when throwing a big saw around on a chog I would catch the lever and slip backwards cacking my pants so I sold it and got a cinch.not had any of the above problems and you can run it on a thinner rope which is a big plus.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Not had the same problem with big saw on my belt, but do know what you are on about in other work positioning situations. A good point that I have come across & adapted to after some use & compensated for. A good point though:thumbup1:

Which is not something worth boasting about :blushing:

Marc I've seen you use it to self belay countless times to extend your rope with your lanyard when you've run out of rope maybe that's why it's worn out :thumbup:

Yeah and I've used it countless times as a self belay device and work positioning tool, it's not fit for that purpose though. Many things I do are not strictly best practice and I do not claim it to be, you know me I'm ***** (pie key)but I get it done.

If I went to 3atc event and they said I could not use it the fair enough I can see their point of view, what I do as a self employed climber is my business.

Yeah and I've used it countless times as a self belay device and work positioning tool, it's not fit for that purpose though. Many things I do are not strictly best practice and I do not claim it to be, you know me I'm ***** (pie key)but I get it done.

If I went to 3atc event and they said I could not use it the fair enough I can see their point of view, what I do as a self employed climber is my business.

Haha just winding you up mate

well clearly it is fit for purpose or you wouldn't be using it for those applications.....because it works.

well clearly it is fit for purpose or you wouldn't be using it for those applications.....because it works.

Clearly, but I think you miss the point in what I said earlier and I am hardly the person to deem kit fit for purpose just common sense for my application that I am happy using it, although will not be getting another.

I only remembered late last night that I have seen a cinch regularly used as a self belay device become worn at the pivot creating excessive play between the 2 halves not ideal in a commercial climbing application.

Clearly, but I think you miss the point in what I said earlier and I am hardly the person to deem kit fit for purpose just common sense for my application that I am happy using it, although will not be getting another.

I only remembered late last night that I have seen a cinch regularly used as a self belay device become worn at the pivot creating excessive play between the 2 halves not ideal in a commercial climbing application.

Blimey that is worrying. mind you, I suppose if you use anything enough its going to wear out right? like the cam on a spiderjack or a positioner. I do totally get your point and at the end of the day it comes down to the manufacturers guidelines and to wether you deem it 'fit for the purpose of the task' you are undertaking. I've always found it to be a sturdy device and I use and abuse mine in single line configuration an awful lot. I do tend to use it with a dynamic climbing line though as have heard that a fall with static line could be bad news and damage the device (and the climber!).....