Cheapest tree work in Chesterfield

SiW

Do what you need to do for now, if your saw breaks in 3 months and no funds to fix it, cross that bridge then .

Bills need paid.

Times are tough, good luck

Absolutely right, If you own your own gear outright then you can afford to go a bit cheaper. Saws and hedgecutters can be replaced with a good days profit. Chippers and grinders though....beware of going too cheap when using those. Lately I have been pushing the use of fires with clients.

(Not literally of couse!)

Not always possible in an urban setting of course but the overheads, ie diesel and chipper (and paying for disposal of waste) can be considerably less.

Not always possible in an urban setting of course but the overheads diesel and chipper (and paying for disposal of waste) can be considerably less.

Spot on, cant beat turning up at a job with just your saws, burning everything on site then leaving straight for home with no unloading on route :thumbup1:

A man's gotta live!

When calculating for the job you MUST cover your expenses otherwise you are just making matters worse.

If things are tight and you you need to feed the family then you can (during dire times) charge out at costs + however much you need for a meal.

That may well get you the job, the problem comes when things improve and you want to get back to your 'old' prices - not easy when you have a reputation as the cheapest guy in town.

I don't think anyone here knows the answer - we all have opinions which will depend on how much we have in the bank to fall back on, what our fixed outgoings are and how hard we are willing to work just to 'live'.

I bought my chipper off a guy 3 years ago who had had enough - he got a job as a cleaner in a nuclear power plant when work was drying up. That was a tough decision, he bought the chipper new and only put 30 hours on it.

Once the jet stream moves back up to us the weather will improve, Mrs Goggins will go into her garden and realise alll the trees have grown.

When that glorious day arrives we will all be rushing around quoting - hopefully not working flat out for £10.00 because we had got too desperate in the short term.

It will come back, eventually.

All sound advice but after 20 years in the industry I never expected to be struggling to support my family quite so much, have now got to call bank and see about extending overdraft

I know the feeling mate, its been feast and famine for a while for me no continuity to the work its either that much to do you can't get it done or nowt at all, I agree that going cheap can get you in a hole when you want to get back to sensible priceing but when the devil drives you have to do what needs to be done, I've done cheaper day rates labouring over the last year to keep the money flowing, but its easy to go out and earn nowt, you can stay home and do that without spending the money on fuel etc, its a fine line but when it comes down to providing for your family you have to do what needs to be done :thumbup1: