Next door neighbour thought he'd have a go...

Jonny Burch

If they're willing to listen, explain what you're doing and why you're doing it.

Describe the forces involved and the consequences of getting it wrong.

A bit of time spent explaining why this sort of thing is best left to 'a professional' would be time well spent.

While it would certainly impress those of us who are involved in this sort of thing, nipping across while the kettle boils and dropping it exactly where they want it with a quick nick of a handy little saw will only leave them thinking they could do it themselves in future and wondering how you can possibly charge for such a 'small' job.

In short, don't make it look TOO easy! :biggrin:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my guys is a time served mechanic. He does a lot of stuff for mates for free. Now he gets them to have a go at sorting a problem first, (usually spending several frustrating hours), so they do appreciate the skill and knowledge he brings to the party.

The he does it in 5 minutes.

• 1 month later...

My neighbour asked me for help a while ago, pulling over a tree he'd cut that was fallen on next doors fence and shed. I told him to sort it out himself. I'd already told him that he shouldn't be anywhere near a saw and that I have no time for people who use a saw with no training or ppe.

My neighbour asked me for help a while ago, pulling over a tree he'd cut that was fallen on next doors fence and shed. I told him to sort it out himself. I'd already told him that he shouldn't be anywhere near a saw and that I have no time for people who use a saw with no training or ppe.

I would have given the help in exchange for whatever I would have charged for the job in the first place. No point in turning down work. :001_smile: