Logmaster LM1 manual bandsawmill

Big J

I am considering importing the smallest of the Logmaster sawmills into the UK (I've just placed my order for the larger LM2, which will be arriving in about 5 months, at which point my Woodmizer will be available for sale).

It's a manual bandmill built much bigger and heavier than it's competitors. Broadly speaking price wise, it's fairly similar to the Hudson Oscar 228. I should be able to offer it for sale in the UK with the basic 14hp motor for about £4500 plus VAT. For comparison, here is the Oscar:

Hud-son Oscar 228 Saw Mill | eBay

And here is the Logmaster:

Log Master

As you can see, the Logmaster's capacity is larger and it's almost three times the weight.

I would be offering them for sale with dealer back up, parts and CE marked. I need to get 5 orders to make it worth the while.

This is just a preliminary thread to gauge interest. Anyone interested? :001_cool:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"J"

I am biding my time yet,

I priced for a Timberking, with the 18HP Kohler, but lost the e-mail (a Yahoo glitch!)

Also still pondering a M8 Logosol. (simply cos it looks sexy with all that adonized aluminium, or perhaps cos of the flexibility iffen I get the chance of hardwood butts in-situ )

So I could consider either your cast off Woodmizer or indeed "risk" ordering a LM1 via your good self.

Remind me re your Woodmizer spec?, or I could execute a search I suppose?

Cheers

Marcus

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there. Have you got your LM2 yet?

I'm researching bandsaw mills at the moment, so would like to find out more about your LM1.

Do you know if it possible to get a longer cut from it? Extensions would be needed. I'm aiming for at least 16foot cut whereas the LM1 is just 12foot cut length.

Also - what size band does it run & how accurate?

Do you know if anyone else imports them.

Thanks.

The LM2 won't arrive until the middle to end of August I reckon.

Extensions are an inexpensive upgrade, it runs a 1 1/4 inch band and I have no reason to believe that it is anything other than very accurate. The 6 post head should mean that it cuts very true.

Incase anyone is interested, the Woodmizer LM40 will be for sale in August :D

There is no one else importing them at the moment. I am trying to drum up enough interest to justify bringing over a container of the LM1s.

It depends what you are needing a mill for. A Peterson mill has the advantage of being fairly quick for dimensioned timber, but a bandsaw is more versatile and less wasteful. The LM1 is also a good chunk cheaper too.

As soon as my LM2 arrives, I will do an extension video tour and demonstration of it.

Id be interested to know why you think that a bandsaw is more versatile? I do appreciate the waste issues, and the price!! The one main advantage for me right now with a swing mill is it will fiit in my lockup, a trailered bandsaw would not.

A few different issues and questions I suppose.

How is a log clamped on a swing mill? I think that it would struggle to quickly convert smaller logs.

Most of my logs are a combination of full width boards and some narrower boards once the heart has been reached. This variety of boards ensures all customers are catered for, and reasonably quick milling. As best my understanding, most swing mills will only cut 8-10 inch wide boards, of which I don't sell many (unless it's been a large log halved by chainsaw mill, then you get a few).

The slabbing attachment for the Peterson is a chainsaw mill, correct? Whilst I appreciate that for a 5ft cut, a chainsaw mill is necessary, I'd argue that breaking the log into quarters and resawing with a band mill would result in more timber recovery. Even if it took a bit longer, the extra boards you'd get would pay for that.

I'm not saying that they aren't good mills, but I genuinely think that they are very limited to producing narrow boards from oversized butts. If wide boards are required, an Alaskan mill is more economical.

Jonathan

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread to see if there is any interest?

My LM2 will leave the States this week, sailing it's way over here. The company has been a pleasure to deal with and I'm extremely excited about the new mill arriving.

I'd urge people to look at the figures and compare the LM1 to it's competitors. I think it's a heavier built mill for less money, leaving the likes of Woodmizer, Timberking, Oscar and Lumbermate behind on paper at the very least.

As I said earlier in the thread, I need 5 orders, ideally 10 (very little price difference between a 20 and 40ft container - saving passed on to customer). I'm not in it to make much money - I genuinely feel that there needs to be more competition in the UK sawmill market to drive up quality/service and drive down cost.

Jonathan