Tracing veterans.

WorcsWuss

We're demolishing an old shop in Ludlow at the moment and our guys found a letter under the floorboards.

It's in lovely condition and is from a Pte Evans who was a KOYLI serving in Malaya. Best guess at a date is around 1945/6, based on his opinion of The Rakes Progress which he went to see at the pictures in Penang.

I brought it home to show my 6 year old son and thought we would make it a little history project and try to trace the original writer and recipient, if they're still alive, and return it to them.

How would I go about starting a trace? I can just about make out his serial from the back of the envelope, and we know his rank and regiment, so presumably it shouldn't be impossible?

I know we have quite a few ex-mil members amongst us and I was hoping one would be able to point us in the right direction.

Thanks in advance! :thumbup1:

Cheers Stevie. Done some googling but it's a bit of a minefield, seems a bit recent for many of the online record searches. I am half expecting records from the latter half of the 20th century to still be held by the MOD, but I've no idea where to start!

Searching the names and addresses I have hasn't thrown up anything in the first few pages.

We're working quite closely with the LA on it, they're into the archaeology from the cellar downwards, so I my be able to find the recipient through their records.

Hopefully we're not stirring up sadness, it's always a risk.... With a bit of luck pte Evans was demobbed, started a family with his sweetheart and they're still together now!