Best way to point paving??

Big T

Hiya,

I have a job coming up repointing some paving, what is the best way to do it so I dont make too much of a mess and leave cement staines everywhere? I have looked at cement pointing guns (simmilar to silicone guns) but have been told they are pants! Any suggestions?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the best way is to mix a dry wet mix if that makes sense, if you make a mix and leave it for 4 hrs if you can imagine that then trowel down the point lines and compact with a jointing trowel.

this is fairly quick, goes off like a wet mix but is so much cleaner that a proper wet mix.

guns are crap and so is dry mix.

the best way is to mix a dry wet mix if that makes sense, if you make a mix and leave it for 4 hrs if you can imagine that then trowel down the point lines and compact with a jointing trowel.

this is fairly quick, goes off like a wet mix but is so much cleaner that a proper wet mix.

guns are crap and so is dry mix.

Totally disagree. I have been using a pointing gun for the last few years and have had great results. Most of the flags I lay are natural sandstone which need to be laid on a solid bed not dot and dabbed. Because of this the gaps under the flags are eliminated and then when you use a pointing gun you don't loose it down holes. Once the pointing gun mix has gone off a bit I clean it up with a troul and paint brush. Far quicker than any other method I have done.

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

disagree all you want, works very well for me.

I dont lay flags but have re pointed quite a few this way.

guns are for homeowners who cant do the job in the first place.

Edited by Ian C

Why I we not allowed to disagree on forums anymore? (Confused) I'm giving him my opinion that's all.

i just said disagree all you want! thats the way i have dont it.

didnt say you wernt allowed to disagree did i.:confused1:

disagree all you want, works very well for me.

I dont lay flags but have re pointed quite a few this way.

guns are for homeowners who cant do the job in the first place.

I have been laying flags for about 10 years and the gun is the best method I have found. Quick and easy, the other methods take to long or blow out when washed. I am happy how I do it.

i just said disagree all you want! thats the way i have dont it.

didnt say you wernt allowed to disagree did i.:confused1:

So why make stupid comments that guns are for homeowners? Bit of a daft comment realy as that's just your opinion.

a mate of mine slabbed my patio for me but i told him that i would point them, because i wanted something i could pressure wash without blowing everything out, the method i used was to make a strong sand cement mix to the consistency of thick gravy then add a good dollop of unibond and pour into the joints with a jug or pointing gun, it goes off like steel, they have been down about 8 years now and pressure washed every year. ive seen some guys brushing a dry mix into the joints, total waste of time.