Landrover Tippers

Dax

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking to convert my landrover 110 hi cap to a tipper

Any ideas for a cheap converstion and where i can get it done. I'm based in the southeast london/kent/surrey borders.

I wouldn't bother unless it's a 3500kg gross, by the time you have the tipping subframe, tipping gear sides etc your pay load will be small, also if your machine has extras such as winches etc this will also shrink your pay load.

I wouldn't bother unless it's a 3500kg gross, by the time you have the tipping subframe, tipping gear sides etc your pay load will be small, also if your machine has extras such as winches etc this will also shrink your pay load.

I agree, with the £1500 or so quid you'd have used for the conversion ,go and buy the best small truck on the road a Nissan Cabstar, any age as long as its diesel bomb proof!

Top stuff. Converted mine myself for about £300. Took hi-cap butt off, bought scrap sherpa dropside for £100, transit tipper pump and a random ram for £50, and about £100 worth of steel channel. 20 hours in workshop and now with uprated springs and helper springs regularly carry 1.5 tonnes, making it about 4 tonne gross. If you uprate the brakes and strengthen spring hangars you can go further than that. Its great, but unless you really need four wheel drive, buy a nissan cabstar!!

regularly carry 1.5 tonnes, making it about 4 tonne gross.

So you have replated at 4000kg GVW, and you are using a tachograph and have an 'O' licence then?

Do you tow as well? I'd be interested to know what the gross train on that rig is.

If you do tow, you need category C1+E on your licence, as I'm sure you're well aware. I'm only pointing these things out as your post makes it seem at lot easier than it really is, and I wouldnt want anyone getting into trouble.

You're right. I do have that on my licence, and there are registration issues. It is a very grey area, and careful enquiries have to be made. VOSA are out in force in cornwall on my main work route- the A30- all the time and are evil, so unless that road is avoided then no risks can be taken. The conversion is really easy and can be cheap- i didnt even need an svo when i informed dvla. To make it worthwhile though (for weight carrying) i did need to uprate everything as weight of pto winch etc etc reduced my payload. Truck is 2.4 tons empty. I think there is more leeway down here in cornwall:sneaky2: as i was 8.2 tons on the quarry weighhbridge with 10ft ifor tipper and stone, and old bill didnt stop me that time. Not sure i would recommend it , or do it again though......:scared1::mad1::blushing:

Regarding plating and o licence. Yes to first and no to second. O licence and tacho not required as i dont go more than 50 miles from base- my farm- and found out after the event that i needn't have re-plated either. There are so many laws and loopholes, and almost every time i spoke to dvla i got different info. The only thing i am sure of is that the law is getting tougher, and it is well worth making sure you are legally covered. The biggest problem i had was with my insurance company, who saw the conversion as a licenece to print money. It always helps living on a farm for some reason, but i did my conversion 6 yrs ago now, and got my licence 18 years ago, and as i understad it there have been massive changes to what you can drive since then without taking more tests etc. Like Peter points out, the only easy bit was the actual conversion of the truck.

cabstar time maybe..........he-he!

You're right. I do have that on my licence, and there are registration issues. It is a very grey area, and careful enquiries have to be made. VOSA are out in force in cornwall on my main work route- the A30- all the time and are evil, so unless that road is avoided then no risks can be taken. The conversion is really easy and can be cheap- i didnt even need an svo when i informed dvla. To make it worthwhile though (for weight carrying) i did need to uprate everything as weight of pto winch etc etc reduced my payload. Truck is 2.4 tons empty. I think there is more leeway down here in cornwall:sneaky2: as i was 8.2 tons on the quarry weighhbridge with 10ft ifor tipper and stone, and old bill didnt stop me that time. Not sure i would recommend it , or do it again though......:scared1::mad1::

I would say you have been very lucky as i dont think your insurance would have covered you if there had been an accident.:ohmy: