Damaged PulleySaver

Thomas Flower-Ellis

I think the pulley saver line is sirius kernmantle rope, the outer layer is a cover protecting the core. The problem with a nick in this location is you can't monitor it. Personally I'd hang it up and load it then inspect it. Isn't the semi rigid eye a 'slaice', with a length of dyneema webbing inside it anyway....?

personally id be very carefull and wary giving advice like that, especially not knowing 100% of the facts

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally id be very carefull and wary giving advice like that, especially not knowing 100% of the facts

I try to avoid giving advice, only musings.....! :laugh1: Don't think i've advised anything life threatening though....? I've assumed that my suggestion of loading it to inspect it isn't taken to get as high as he can and bounce up and down on it... I had some nicked kernmantle rope, loaded it and the cover gave way completely exposing 3 inches of core.....

Looks like it's severed two strands and partially severed two more... Chop shop it is, then. At least I'll get myself a Pinto rig pulley out of it.

All help very much appreciated. I love this forum!

Oh, while I'm digging around in the coffers... What's verdict on here of the Rope Guide? I realise this may be a worn-out subject. If so, apologies, I'm kind of new on here :)

If you're pensioning it off cut the splice off, seal the end & tie yourself a prusik loop with the rest of the rope, stick the snap in your box for later.

Can't comment on the RG but lots rave about them. My only idle thought is that it seems expensive to me, but I don't get overly excited by my Pulleysaver tbh....

Yeah, given it's somewhere you can't keep an eye on, and an anchor isn't something you want to worry about I'd replace it. The fact you asked the question should be answer enough really. But it looks like you cam to that conclusion yourself anyway...

On the plus side the main bit with the big eye is really, really easy to make yourself so you don't necessarily need a whole new anchor setup.

I have a similar knick but only on one strand, i keep an eye on it but i doesnt bother me too much. The Ropeguide is far superior IMO,. its reteived a hell of a lot easier even when choked, it has a fall arrest system, retrieval snap is soo much better thought out, there is more i could say but after owning a pulleysaver i can see all its advantages. Will be getting one when i retire my PS.