Yew tree clippings for cancer!

Chunkymunky

Bit of a strange one and i don't know if its been covered. Does anyone often clip yew hedges?

Came across this.

http://www.friendshipestates.co.uk/yew-collection/yew-collection.html

Basically for 200kg of fresh clippings get paid £40. Theres a few stipulations regarding how they are kept immediately after clipping but may interest someone.

Bit of a strange one and i don't know if its been covered. Does anyone often clip yew hedges?

Came across this.

Friendship Estates - Yew Collection

Basically for 200kg of fresh clippings get paid £40. Theres a few stipulations regarding how they are kept immediately after clipping but may interest someone.

Yep don it for 2 or 3 seasons a while back . It was for a french pharmaceutical firm . It was just the new growth , inch or two . Eventually it did not pay . Maybe its on the up again ??

I guess if you had an estate with loads yew tree hedging or a yew maze it might be worth it.

We used to go around all the big posh houses in Sussex ( and there are lots ) and cut their hedges for free . We were getting a decent price peer weight then the price started to come down until it was more hassle; than its worth . You need a good long tarp and some builders bags . They allow for wet ! so don't think if its raining you gonna get a bit more ! . Steps and plat forms and a good fast single sided cutter ( I used a Husky ) with a leaf collector plate so yopu can fl;ick the harvest on top the tarp . Not rocket science but mid summer yopu need loads to drink !

That link was just one i found. Must be others. Sure theres a lil side earner for someone

Yea maybe it coming good again . Not knocking it , it was good fun when we did it . I would do it again if the return was up again . One thig though ..... Hornets ! the buggers set up shop in yew sometimes . Had to do a runner a couple of times !!!!!!!!!!!

Yea maybe it coming good again . Not knocking it , it was good fun when we did it . I would do it again if the return was up again . One thig though ..... Hornets ! the buggers set up shop in yew sometimes . Had to do a runner a couple of times !!!!!!!!!!!

Haha

Well near me is madresfield court. I could offer my free services to do theirs this year to gain a lil experience and top the certs fund up

Haha

Well near me is madresfield court. I could offer my free services to do theirs this year to gain a lil experience and top the certs fund up

If you decide to do, it post how yew ( pardon the pun ) get on . Good luck bud . :001_smile:

I do one every year that provides up to 3000Kgs of clippings.

The money you get for it not actually yours though, it could belong to the owner of the yew? Depends how you contracted the work in the first place. Also I'm sure its no where near as high as £40/200kgs £4 pound maybe.

The price has gone down now because all the research has been done, and one company now makes the product. There was a time when companies were competign with each other to bring a product to market and the price of clippings was higher. The one company got a product but it took a couple of years to get it through testing/certification and the price for clipping dropped to ZERO.

Now that its being manufactured again there is some demand for clippings but not much. Interestingly the Chinese planted millions (yes millions) of yew trees, especially to get the clippings, but they tried to get them to grow fast and the clippings were not right, so good old british yew clippings from old established hedges are still the best.

In the case of the hedge that I trim, the owner pays us nearly £3K to do the work, and she usually gets about £200 total for the clippings which she gives to charity.

No ones going to let you loose on their prized yew hedges so you can make money from their clippings!