Traffic problem

Woodreeve

Hi guys, wonder if you can help. I was working for an estate today who often employ me as a subby when they need a hand.

We were clearing dilapidated hazel and alder coppice that was hung over a single lane country road. It's not a busy road, maybe 25 cars a day between 9 and 3. We had put warning signs out well away from we were working and had two guys at each end stopping traffic whilst I did the felling into the road, cleared up and then we would let any traffic through. At one point I'd just finished clearing the road and there was a hell of a commotion from up the road. Basically our lad had stopped two cars and was stood with a static stop sign. The bloke in the car was impatient even though our lad had said it'll only be two minutes then you can go. He'd had to wait less than a minute. He then decided he was going to nudge the sign and the lad out of the way and actually hit him with his car. Our lad went a bit mental and put two dents in the bonnet with his fists and slammed the door on the guy when he tried to get out of the car. Red mist came down I'm afraid, he's not normally violent but I guess someone trying to run him over got to it a bit.

Anyway, woman behind knew the guy in front and got out swearing at us that we shouldn't hold up traffic etc etc. no further violence occurred but I expected a visit from police which didn't happen.

So question is, what should the estate have done differently TM wise, and how do you deal with impatient motorists bearing in mind we were carrying out safety works.

Cheers

Chris

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are not technically "allowed" to stop traffic completely, stop go boards are for traffice flow, so you stop from one side then the other (like traffic lights) and the traffice goes round your work area. All needs to be fully marked and signed, and even then you cant dent peoples cars!

Having said that on single track roads I would do exactly the same as you, except that you need to make sure you system works, which it didnt. So with politeness and diplomacy you can stop the traffic and 99% of the time they understand but when they dont, you can either stop the work and let them through, or put dents in their car (or you could punch them in the face). One of those actions will lead to no further problems, the other two might well come back and bite you, so you make your choice.

The only 100% ok alternative is a road closure but I'm not suggesting you should do that. But denting the car of an innocent (agreed knob head) passer by is not good form.

Did you have the full road works, traffic control ahead etc etc road signs out, or just a bloke in the road with a stop/go board?

But a car gor dented due to your work, so you are in the wrong, hope it sorts itself out.

Contact the police, and report the assault but ask not for any further action to be taken at the moment. Traffic management wise follow your chapter 8. One guy as the site operative and another as the supervisor. Nothing wrong with red/red stoppage.

(The assault was the driver hitting your operative or was it a RTA I,m not sure)

Edited by Gareth Dalzell

Cheers guys. There's was no literature on vehicles so I think they'll be ok. I know that's not the point and ill be talking to the estate manager about it in the morning. The operative who lost the plot has been talked to about it and I'm not sure he'll be back on that job.

just checking that were it my gig what I'd do differently. You've just confirmed what I thought.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Personally, I have done the Stop/Go thing countless times, held traffic on red/red, as have countless others before. But you need to maintain a polite and courteous manner if you expect cooperation from the public. To lose tempers isn't really ideal, is less than professional and reflects badly on the whole team. Though I can sympathise if the driver did actually tap him, I'd bear in mind that he maybe trying to justify his actions by exaggerating the truth somewhat, in an endeavour to get off the hook.

My advice in your situation would be to get some crutches from somewhere and have the at the side of the door at your member of staffs home. If and when the police do come knocking, answer the door with crutches.

When the police come in and ask why the crutches, tell them you have not been able to walk since the incident and think you have damaged your crucial ligament in the incident and will not be able to work for some time.

They will then go back to the guy and tell him and he will crap himself

You can stop traffic using red/red, not 100% on time allowed with out looking in book, as long as your signs are right as per chapter 8 regs, you can also use a STOP WORKS sign, its similar to a school lollipop again with the right signs.

Did you notify your local council street works dept? as they could come and kick you off the road If you have not.