Kretzschmaria deusta

David Humphries

Great shots Graham, any idea how far up the stem the decay was spreading?

Guess it's fair to say that the decay stratergy could be from entry via the exposed heart wood.

Some interesting psuedosclaratial plates, over the cross section.

I assume the basal damage occured during road alterations and culvert building about ten years ago.

The diameter's about 26" and the decay extended up the stem approx 6'.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had another look at this thread as i have been working for two weeks in some ancient oak woodland on teh south coast. We are felling every sycamore in the woods. The woodland was clear felled last time in 1968, and has been coppiced for the tanneries and other industries for hundreds if not thousands of years. There is a large amount of what we thought was ustulina, until i saw John Hancocks thread on Daldinia concentrica. What is confusing me is that the fruiting bodies look just like daldinia, but it is all or 99.9% on living sycamore, (of basal diameters ranging from old coppiced stools of about 4-5 foot with about ten stems, down to small single stemmed specimens.) One area that we were in today has been very badly hit- and the rot has left markings in the centre of the trunk just like in pics previously on this thread, with some being hollow. (makes directional felling very interesting at times!!) I am confused as to what it is- and will post pics later, but also- we have to leave all the timber and brash in the wood. Natural england say so, to give a beetle some habitat- sorry dont know which one- but are there any long term implications of leaving this much diseased wood lying around, and exposed stumps. We have left upwards of 120 tons of wood so far, let alone brash, on the ground, and have another 10 days in the contract, and about 1/4 of it is diseased.

Haven't personally ever seen Daldinia on Sycamore.

I'd imagine you're talking about Ustulina/Kretzmaria.

There's a big difference in size between the fruiting bodies.

Haven't read John's thread yet, not sure if he mentioned the inside.

Are there any concentric rings in the Fb's?

If so = Daldinia.

Try to get some shots up tommer.

Personally don't feel that leaving on stacked timber in the woods is too big an issue.

I'm starting to see Ust as having a saprophytic nature among other things.

Your beetles could be Stag?

Edited by Monkey-D