Falling a 200ft Doug fir off springboards

evo0001

I do that everyday, on bigger trees obviously !!

Awesome guys!!

Can't wait for Mark Bolams version though!!!:)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

He would just stack up the Stella cans to stand on!;)

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

Great pics - I was looking for a vid a few months back just to see how springboards 'work' - what sort of cut you make, what the end of the boards look like etc... but no joy...

Any links kindly accepted :001_smile:

You just fall a small tree rip a board out of the center about 3 in thick then cut in to the tree 5 - 6 inches three lines top middle and bottom 3 in high break the bits out with an axe and put you board in if its loose ad a wedge under it its that easy

why cut so high ?

The tree was badly rotten at the base and it was also 10 ft across and 10 ft up it was better wood and only 6 ft across and i didnt want to do it off a lanyard as the tree was so decayed i wanted to be able to get the f out of there if it started to collapse

why cut so high ?

a)because it looks cool

b)because it's quicker than taking off all the buttresses and he only had a little saw

c)because the base was rotten and needed some decent wood

d)because he only had a drop zone 190 feet long and needed to make sure the tree would fit

or e)because he was just setting up the cut for the forester, who's actually 20' tall, has a bad back and can't bend down too much