Question for any star-gazing Arbtalkers.

felixthelogchopper

I'm looking for a bit of advice about telescopes. My girlfriend has a nephew whose 8th birthday is coming up next month. We recently took him to the Planetarium at our local museum and he loved it. It seems he already knows quite a bit about the Solar System( certainly more than me :blushing: ) and wants us to take him on one of the local Astronomy club's open evenings. He lives in the country with absolutely no light pollution so we thought that for his birthday we would get him a telescope as the stars are so clear over there. We know nothing about telescopes, although I did recognise a couple of brand names from shooting. We are looking for a decent, stable, entry level model around the £100-£150 mark. We do know that they aren't cheap but we don't want to spend a fortune in case he loses interest in the subject. Any help greatly appreciated. :001_smile:

Can't give you any telescope advice but nice 1 on the gift!:001_smile:

We had a huge set of navy binoculars in our porch as kids, my dad got them , WW2 I think, we would spend hours looking throu them, and on a clear night he would take them outside and look at the stars and moon:thumbup1:

Hi Felix,

I think you're right to go in via an entry level scope.

I made a mistake and bought a 4.5 inch reflector (Tasco 302012 which was the best part of £500) about 14 years ago as a first scope & after the initial school boy enthusiasm it's pretty much stayed in its box for most of the last 10 years or so.

Now the kids are of a more inquisitive age (9 & 8) it may get unpacked again

image.jpg.134ca5d545c2b863a0c960322e31120c.jpg

I got a telescope when I was 10 for Christmas and used to go out every Saturday night and look at the moon. That was the only thing that I looked at really!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000MLL6QE/ref=s9_al_bw_g23_ir01?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=16FA07B67796471CB88B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=354183487&pf_rd_i=1083940

This is just a cheap model that would be do fine for beginners and you can even get computerized telescopes that point at stars and planeta for £200!

It all depends on your budget but any telescope will increase his interest in space which is a never ending hobby!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I'm looking for a bit of advice about telescopes. My girlfriend has a nephew whose 8th birthday is coming up next month. We recently took him to the Planetarium at our local museum and he loved it. It seems he already knows quite a bit about the Solar System( certainly more than me :blushing: ) and wants us to take him on one of the local Astronomy club's open evenings. He lives in the country with absolutely no light pollution so we thought that for his birthday we would get him a telescope as the stars are so clear over there. We know nothing about telescopes, although I did recognise a couple of brand names from shooting. We are looking for a decent, stable, entry level model around the £100-£150 mark. We do know that they aren't cheap but we don't want to spend a fortune in case he loses interest in the subject. Any help greatly appreciated. :001_smile:

Just my view on the subject, I'd say living in the country side is the answer, light pollution is at its lowest from that perspective, when I arrive home late on a clear night I often find that the best observations of the night sky, the moon and the planets are observed from a lateral point in the garden. Bridget disagrees. :thumbup1: