Chinese saw

wannabe logger

No chain is as good as when its new. When they get to 25% they are gone. Its just not worth it when you are trying to get buried quick and fast in mature Douglas' butt. Bin it and try to keep it out the dirt FOREVER!

I think the exact opposite . I recon a properly filed chain at 25% cutts way better than an " out of the box " new one . Just me though .

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No chain is as good as when its new. When they get to 25% they are gone. Its just not worth it when you are trying to get buried quick and fast in mature Douglas' butt. Bin it and try to keep it out the dirt FOREVER!

Sorry mate , dont agree , i can keep my chains as sharp as they were new until the teeth are about 2mm in length (roughly)

Sorry mate , dont agree , i can keep my chains as sharp as they were new until the teeth are about 2mm in length (roughly)

Exactly ! And it a narrower kirf so lee to take out . I put a file across mine as soon as I put a new one on .

I think the exact opposite . I recon a properly filed chain at 25% cutts way better than an " out of the box " new one . Just me though .

Each to their own. But this guy won't benefit from your advice imo. A new chain has no imperfections. And more of a cutting edge. My mate's like you... Only bins it when he has broken three or more teeth. Love's his notes! The physics don't work outfit me?

Each to their own. But this guy won't benefit from your advice imo. A new chain has no imperfections. And more of a cutting edge. My mate's like you... Only bins it when he has broken three or more teeth. Love's his notes! The physics don't work outfit me?

Ok . I wont give any more then .

Exactly ! And it a narrower kirf so lee to take out . I put a file across mine as soon as I put a new one on .

Hmmm I can see why you would do it but I've got to say IMO its a bit of a waste of time putting a new chain on and chucking a file straight on it.

At least use it first and then chuck a file at it. You must have way too much time on your hands to file a new chain :lol::lol:k:lol:

Edit: Oops now someone has upset you and my post will be seen as hostile or something.... Better get an asbo now. :lol:

Hmmm I can see why you would do it but I've got to say IMO its a bit of a waste of time putting a new chain on and chucking a file straight on it.

At least use it first and then chuck a file at it. You must have way too much time on your hands to file a new chain :lol::lol:k:lol:

Edit: Oops now someone has upset you and my post will be seen as hostile or something.... Better get an asbo now. :lol:

Just a stroke on each cutter , take seconds . I'm ok bud no worries !! :lol::lol:

Bought a chinese saw a few months ago on ebay and its a fantastic job, much prefer it to my old stihl 028.

Really? the 028 must of been running like sh te then! (Also, bare in mind that you cannot get spares for the chinese saws, unless you buy another one...?)

I can buy 2 chains and a bar for about £20 from the same seller. My question is are these chains worth sharpening, i've tried it a few times but they're never as good as when they were new, a new chain cuts for about 10 hours like a dream. Thanks in advance.:thumbup1:

A (good) chain can always be sharpened as good if not better than new.

Completely disagree.

Chains do not perform well out of the box. The teeth are half dull and the depth gauges are far too high. It usually takes me 4-6 sharpens (and depth gauge drops) to get the chain to how I like it. Result is a chain that is no less smooth than out the box and I swear at least a third quicker.

With reference to the original poster, you need to learn to sharpen your chain by hand. Grinders have their place for heavily damaged chains, but are no use for day to day sharpening. And dump the Chinese chainsaw - there are many makes of saw that are quite reasonably priced for your needs and a thousand times better than Chinese rubbish. There is a very good video of a genuine Stihl being subjected to industry standard stress tests versus it's Chinese copy. Needless to say, the Chinese saw fell to pieces.