Timber id?

Mark1

I would go with iroko - it's the small paler 'flecks' of the open grain. In beech, the small flecks would be darker than the bulk rather than lighter, and would be closed (solid) rather than open (slightly sunken). I've seen iroko remain pale like this. It used to be used for solid wood benchtops in laboratories and Dad salvaged some from one once which was this colour on the underside. You are also likely to find that on the unfinished surface some parts almost 'shimmer' as you tilt them, depending on the cut. There's quite a lot of silica in iroko, which will make it a bit hard wearing on tools and abrasives, but it will give a good durable finish (as witnessed by how long the floor has lasted).

Alec

Edited by agg221

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arbtalk rocks thanks guys.

Re sunlight the hall had full length windows south facing and a really high ceiling so that would tie in. Will sand a bit down tomorrow (with mask and gloves on) and feel for "oilyness"!

Off to google Iroko to get some background :thumbup1:

if it was the assembly hall it could well be iroko, especially in a sixties school, iroko varies from a light sandy coulor through to a deep redy brown, the "oily" feel is hard to describe, not as pronounced as teak but its there, any splinters you get will end up going septic within hours thats why I asked about use as a gym. the best way to re-finish it is to run it through a surface planer (with carbide blades). terrific wood for any outdoor projects as its up there with teak for longevity

hello mark, you can rule beech out as the pore structure is wrong as is the colour.

its def iroko. 100%

i have found that the paler timber usualy comes from a well watered part of africa and also the uper part of the tree which is lighter than the base wood otherwise it would fall over too easily...

muhuhu is used in gym halls and other buildings but its usualy short lengths in parque flooring as the tree is not that big. easy to tell from other timbers as its rock had realy heavy and has no visible pores. turns really well too...

not commonly available these days

i've never been called a timber ninja before???

but i like it...

hello mark, you can rule beech out as the pore structure is wrong as is the colour.

its def iroko. 100%

i have found that the paler timber usualy comes from a well watered part of africa and also the uper part of the tree which is lighter than the base wood otherwise it would fall over too easily...

muhuhu is used in gym halls and other buildings but its usualy short lengths in parque flooring as the tree is not that big. easy to tell from other timbers as its rock had realy heavy and has no visible pores. turns really well too...

not commonly available these days

i've never been called a timber ninja before???

but i like it...

Timber ninja is right on the money.

Really excited to think it's Iroko so am pretending I didn't see the word Poplar....:blushing: