advice on where to go next

Ian Clarke

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can pick up a transit tipper pretty cheap, greedy board it and stack your brash in it or hire a chipper. Go round local farmers and see about burning on their land for a nominal fee or logs off jobs. Buying a cheap chipper may not be a great idea as it is likely to be high hours and could prove costly in the long run. I wouldn't finance anything unless you can make the payments without skinting yourself.

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

:001_tt2: oi johnny go tap someone else up:001_rolleyes:

so mazda 2500? correct and ford ranger options

I wouldn't bother with anything that small, you can't get a lot in them compared to a transit.

I wouldn't bother with anything that small, you can't get a lot in them compared to a transit.

mine served me very well when i first started. it depends how much you want to succeed. you make what you have availible to you work

to desert rat which van big tipper or small one?

to john shutler im just pondering and as ive got a wealth of knowledge at my figertips *and miles on cables i decided to use it. I

All depends on ur current and previous jobs you had, also your budget.

Have a look around for a 4x4 as said mazda or ranger or anything else, pop some boards on the sides and away you go. It also might be an option to get the engine remapped! Itll cost a couple of hundred but will help with the mpg etcetc. As you know the bigger the truck/van the higher the road tax bud

Sent using fones4hobbits

Don't get hung up on the detail. Don't try to get it spot on first, second or third time. I used my brothers panel van for a few jobs at first. Chipped into the back of it and had to shovel it out. He was finding woodchip behind the seats for years after. Then got an old LDV tipper and moved up from there.

Don't get too much kit until you have somewhere very secure to keep it. As has been said, network with a local farmer to get a bit of space to burn. If you can get that then get a tipper. If you have to go to the dump a tipper is usually pointless as you have to handball the stuff off into the big green waste bins. We do have a commercial skip place near us that takes green waste from a tipper as they get a big processor in and make composted topsoil.

Don't get anything on finance until the regular cost of hire is twice or 3 times the cost of the finance. (Your rental pays for service and repairs. Once you have a machine all that stuff is yours to pay.)

As many have said i would get a truck first, ideally a tipper as you said your main income at the minute is subbing to other firms if you have a truck you can charge extra each day and they can use your truck with chip and logs etc a truck will earn you more money, a chipper is almost useless without a truck. I started with a car and mostly subbie climbing when i got my work i would use other firms trucks and chippers, till i could buy a tipper transit then i earned more as i had a truck they could use, when my work came in just used other firms for ground work and they brought there chipper, i then bought a cheap chipper worst move ever ended up taking it back got a finance deal on brand new tw125 222quid a month over 5yrs with just a 10% deposit Which seemed like a hell of a lot but really its not costing that a month because when the 5yrs are up i will trade it in and get another new one and i will probs get a few grand less than i bought for it.