The Art of Zig Zag

silky fox

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I no of its just when I use to run pi on a sj it shredded up alot at first but as soon as I switched to velocity it was fine,is your rope new?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Yeah pretty much new

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App for iPhone

Yes mate

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

If your using the ice axe clip that comes with the pulley saver I'd suggest getting rid of it as this could cause damage to your rope and could be the culprit.

It could also be the SJ if you take it off the line and look inside you will see the tips of a screw head it seems as this gets worn it can create a sharp edge... I know some one who used a file on the screws so they do not protrude into the area the rope runs but not sure about this.

A reason your not noticing the same thing on velocity is probably because its thinner and doesn't chaff on the screws or drag the retrieval clip into the pulley,

Petzl also stated that zigzag cannot be used on its own for SRT but could possibly with another backup system . ie. A rope wrench to increase friction.

They also say you can use a munter hitch in SRT to increase friction and thats in the instructions.

Petzl also stated that zigzag cannot be used on its own for SRT but could possibly with another backup system . ie. A rope wrench to increase friction.

They also say you can use a munter hitch in SRT to increase friction and thats in the instructions.

I only briefly looked through so I could be very wrong, but it looks to me as the zig zag is just acts as a back up to the munter for bail out only say for instance when doing pole work so not necessarily implying its an srt device. Kevin made some good points in another thread

Has anyone used the zigzag with a rope wrench yet in SRT?

I'm a rec climber and use it this way and find it very smooth and easy to control.

Foot pantin hand ascender and chest clip to advance.

Zig zag and ropewrench perfect combo:thumbup1: