what credit crunch?

Steve Bullman

Hmmm Banker on the radio the other day justifying big bonuses saying "...what people don't understand is that we need these bonuses to keep hold of the best staff. If we stop the bonuses, they'll go elsewhere..."

Best staff? They're the best are they? How depressing. So we need to pay the bonuses to reward and retain the people who got us in this mess!?! In our part nationalised banks!?!

Lunacy. Makes me want to grab my splitting maul and march on London...

(that is until I get distracted by life and make myself a cup of tea.)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm Banker on the radio the other day justifying big bonuses saying "...what people don't understand is that we need these bonuses to keep hold of the best staff. If we stop the bonuses, they'll go elsewhere..."

Best staff? They're the best are they? How depressing. So we need to pay the bonuses to reward and retain the people who got us in this mess!?! In our part nationalised banks!?!

Lunacy. Makes me want to grab my splitting maul and march on London...

(that is until I get distracted by life and make myself a cup of tea.)

i think the bonus scheme is sign off bad management they see £££££££ signs & lose site off what & how they should be doing things:thumbdown:

Bonus's are bribes to keep hold of workers who are supposedly good at their job, apparently if they don't get the bonus's they go work for someone else.

I think under the circumstances, I'd not pay the bonus's :001_smile:

I can imagine the interview;

"So let me get this right... In your previous job you sunk an entire company, helped drop an economy into recession and you left because they wouldn't give you a large bonus???"

Yeah, I'd hire them. :thumbdown:

Why no repossessions :confused1:

So what just give people houses??????????:confused1:

The banker should be held PERSONALLY responsible, and their personal assets taken IF it can be shown that the when bought with money made at the expense of others.

QUOTE] (Have edited original quote down to save space)

I agree with most of what you say, and the Government and the regulator, will probably, in the course of time, be shown to have had some responsibility in this.

As for the repossessions, I think that the reason why they're keen to avoid repossessions is that it would flood the market, drivng prices down further and so drive more people into negative equity. Consequently more people may be inclined to default on their mortgages, (which are much more than their house is worth) - they get repossessed and so a vicious circle develops - so I think that's why they want to avoid repossession.

As for the bankers, like the four on the news tonight, I would shake the hand of one any of them who of their own volition offered an apology and handed over all of their assets. I think that would be the mark of a genuine apology. I'm glad we don't do Chinese style punishments, I'm not sure they help much, but, a man of his own accord honestly recognising and acknowledging his own mistakes that could be very helpful indeed. Perhaps Archbishop Desmond Tutu could set up and lead another Truth and Reconcilliation Commission?

I heard a guy on the radio the other evening explaining why the salaries in the city were so high, it went along the lines of, "We take huge personal risk, we work long hours in a stressful job, we risk our own money, we risk our reputation..." - It makes you think doesn't it. :lol:

Hopefully the average, decent, hardworking, responsible, law abiding man will come out of all of this with the kind of credit he deserves.

Right now I'm just concentrating on being average, decent, hardworking and responsible! :001_smile:

I can imagine the interview;

"So let me get this right... In your previous job you sunk an entire company, helped drop an economy into recession and you left because they wouldn't give you a large bonus???"

or he could become the next Secretary of State for business http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Mandelson

You need a very dodgy CV to follow in Mandy's footsteps lol the above just about suits, hell if Brown can become Prime Minister

Edited by Lee Winger