TPO'd Poplars...x16 and around 100ft. Helpful suggestions please

cannonball

16 Poplars in a row at the rear of 5 homes. The residents want more light into the garden. On a breif inspection they look healthy and I can see the customer's point about wanting them reduced. The root system is ploughing lines through the client's garden and pushing up fences. Looking to meet with the Tree Officer soon on site (who has been helpful). Wondered whether people think he will allow a 50% reduction and what could support the client's case? Cheers, Al

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are lombardy's then perhaps aim for pollarding? I somewhat suspect the most the TO will allow would be thinning. There is no right to light in gardens, only property (to my understanding anyway!) so it could be difficult to argue otherwise.

Pollarding mature lombardy pops? I think your going to kill more than you keep

Pollarding mature lombardy pops? I think your going to kill more than you keep

Pete I don't want a row but killing them..... you're 'avin a larf.

They'll react well to a good hiding.

Not every one will agree but Lombardys are best topped..... and hard.

They'll come back strong.

One problem is that the roots can sucker after topping causing a mini forest in the adjacent gardens.

Hi,

Aim for whatever reduction you can get away with. Also lifting to let light in below canopy which will likley be more effective than any reduction.

If there is property damage and depending upon thr proximity of the houses sound out the TO on replacememt and a stratergy for this as at this size they are obviously mature and they will most likley have a limited safe life expectancy while retaining amenity.

Do a TEMPO assessment and aim for what is needed as long as tree retention is given weighted serious consideration mnay thing can be achieved.

HTH

Nick