Dangerous toys?

Stihlben

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one of these on order, long wait mind you, Pacific Yew carriage longbow, comes in two, 50lb draw at 28inch:001_cool:

[ATTACH]115464[/ATTACH]

rubbish, you should talk to people who use long bows! take a man off his feet at 150 yards!

Deer are notorious for their capacity to run off with their hind quarter blown off with High powered rifles, a single arrow through the chest will drop one faster.

idiots who take dirty shots will leave an animal suffering gun or bow makes no difference.

sport hunting is something I find hard to agree with even though i fish catch and release, food is another matter.

One must have a clean shot, and respect for the animal.

That is indeed the biggest load of tosh you have ever uttered on this forum Tony.

A Bullet kills faster and more humainly than any Arrow.As for Deer running off without their Hind Quarters,would they be running on their forequarters?

IF you cock up a shot on a Deer and smash its Pelvis it drops straight away,it might go some distance "in front wheel drive" but you would put one through its vitals before it did so.Instant death,something an Arrow does not do on Deer sized game.

Arrows kill by way of blood loss,the Arrow (hopefully) severs an artery,off runs the animal pumping blood like a fountain untill it dies or lies down.

As for "a long bow taking a man off his feet at 150 yards" how can the delivered energy of an Arrow be greater than its energy upon release?So if it knocks a man off his feet at 150 yards,it must fling the Archer across the feild when he fires it.

Edited by Mike Hill

Oh there fun!! Regret selling my p1 before Christmas ! And my YZF I recently sold :( [ATTACH]115468[/ATTACH][ATTACH]115469[/ATTACH][ATTACH]115470[/ATTACH][ATTACH]115471[/ATTACH]

Bah gutted fella, those p1's are a nice little toy, I've got a dmr rythm for when I get a pop at some dirt jumps, come close to selling the three I have to free up some funds as I have around £5500 worth of bikes but I cannot bring my self to do it! ahh well, will just have to keep getting that adrenaline rush and take that instead hahaha

That is indeed the biggest load of tosh you have ever uttered on this forum Tony.

A Bullet kills faster and more humainly than any Arrow.As for Deer running off without their Hind Quarters,would they be running on their forequarters?

IF you cock up a shot on a Deer and smash its Pelvis it drops straight away,it might go some distance "in front wheel drive" but you would put one through its vitals before it did so.Instant death,something an Arrow does not do on Deer sized game.

Arrows kill by way of blood loss,the Arrow (hopefully) severs an artery,off runs the animal pumping blood like a fountain untill it dies or lies down.

As for "a long bow taking a man off his feet at 150 yards" how can the delivered energy of an Arrow be greater than its energy upon release?So if it knocks a man off his feet at 150 yards,it must fling the Archer across the feild when he fires it.

A deer stalker told me I guess he wouldnt know what he was talking about, you never seen an animal run on three legs?

as for the long bows, I will be back in a mo

The English Longbow, more than any other weapon of its time, was responsible for vast changes in the nature of medieval warfare. In doing so, it made England the foremost power in Europe during the 14th and 15th centuries. England's armies became the most feared units in Europe, and with good cause. Almost every battle fought was won by an intelligent utilization of massed archers and men-at-arms. Upon many occasions, English troops were sorely outnumbered, only to win the day.

Such was the power of the Longbow that contemporary accounts claim that at short range, an arrow fired from it could penetrate 4 inches of seasoned oak. The armoured knight, considered at one time to be the leviathan of the battlefield, could now be felled at ranges up to 200 yards by a single arrow. One account recalls a knight being pinned to his horse by an arrow that passed through both armoured thighs, with the horse and saddle between!

Modern tests have verified that this was indeed possible. A 700-800 grain arrow can pierce 9 cm of oak at close range, and 2.5 cm at 200 yards. No armour up to plate was proof against an arrow at less than 200 yards, and even plate could be penetrated at less than 100 yards.

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

All thats really great Tony,but none of it relates to the kenetic energy imparted on a target.All this waffle about Knights being pinned to Horses and other romantic blah dose not address the fact that Arrows are not really a humane way to down an Animal.

Anyway I am off to the Bow Club,can´t wait to see pictures of your Long Bow when it arrives.

I believe the thing with a longbow in battle is it's very unlikely to kill anyone it hits straight away. If a soldier was to get an arrow through their thigh/shoulder/stomach, they are not going to drop down dead but they sure as hell can't fight. They would very likely die later from infection/blood loss etc. due to poor sanitary conditions in medicine at the time.

Same applies to hunting. The velocity of a bullet from a rifle does so much damage even with a bad shot, the target doesn't really stand a chance. You've got to hit an artery or the heart or lungs to drop a deer with a bow.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App