living in a caravan or static home

frenchy

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can get a postcode for a business address very easily. Just phone up the PO & tell them the company name & the address you want inc the postcode for where it is.

To get a residential postcode you need planning as the council need to request an address / postcode from the PO.

So you just ring up and say you own the barn on the lane off the unnamed road at sq123321, can I have a postcode please?

I'd go for it under the permited development rules for woodland and then try and blag it that you dont live there all year round, if you have a reletive that is willing for you to use their postal address then all the better, but then I'd go for a log cabin/toolstore so it would be a bit different I suppose.

So you just ring up and say you own the barn on the lane off the unnamed road at sq123321, can I have a postcode please?

Yep thats about it. It did take me a long time to find the right department to phone (I will check to see if I still have the details).

I did it, but in slightly different circumstances. I had a small holding with multipul parcels of land. Sold some of the land & then sold the farm house & a parcel of land but also kept some. I just told them I had split it up & sold off one part of the business but kept the other part. They then asked which postcode I wanted to use & what the company name was & the building name.

Now when I do insurance or get stuff delivered the property comes up on their systems as its registered on the system. It did take a couple of years for virtually every one to have it as I guess they only buy the data base occasionally.

Or you can do what my mate did & just start using the right postcode & send yourself a few letters to see what happens. If possible speak to the local posty so he knows what to look out for & which box on a post he needs to put it in. Eventually it will end up on the system.

Who lives in one of these on own land, is it eay to get away with etc. Also, has anyone installed a log burner in one

Most of the above is fairy tails, if you want facts google 'Field to Farm' then buy the book (£25), read it and away you go.

You actually need a minimum of 12.5 acres for it to work, you do not need to own all of it but the book explains this.

To get a residential postcode you need planning as the council need to request an address / postcode from the PO.

Yes, we never bothered as we didn't want to raise our profile. If we need to, we just use the same postcode as the house down the road and start the address with "The Caravan". The postman seems to know where we are.

We have not needed planning as there has been a caravan on that location (off grid, in a field on its own) since 1945. It's just got a few feet longer every time it has been replaced. We only use it for holidays but it was originally a full time residence.

I agree with tree bloke field to farm is the way I have agri land and looking at doing the whole agri business thing route already got my cph number and some livestock but not enough but im just getting started. Our addy is just called land to the north east already had a post code as in between residential but still needed to send ordanance survey map off showing boundry to cph people to get our number . The book is very usefull they have a website too if you have the time and patience to take on the planning system then go for it

I lived in one for 4 years while building my house. I shan't set foot in one again.

I made a little shed on legs for my wood burner. Built it lean too style around the window against the outside of the van (after taking the window out). The stove shed had a little door in the side so you could stack logs in it directly from outside.

Ah, there it is, far right of pic

image.jpg.27e8d252637e85a0563114ae56975471.jpg