Some defender questions.

Daniël Bos

Hi, I use a defender 90 (it's not mine, I use it in winter, the owner in summer).

And was wondering about a few things...

How do I know wether it's a 200 or 300 tdi?

It has an EGR-valve, do these cause the same issues on a landrover as they do in many cars (coking up of inlet tracts following on from it, thus severely hampering airflow) and does simply disconnecting the plug on it leave it permanently shut?

How is the diff lock operated? And would the fact the light on the dash does not come on be indicative of diff issues or dash issues?

I know answers to these question could be found elsewhere but I know how many of you like your landy's.

Cheers, Daniel.

"Live as if you'll die tomorrow, Farm as though you'll farm forever."

Stephen Briggs.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I use a defender 90 (it's not mine, I use it in winter, the owner in summer).

And was wondering about a few things...

How do I know wether it's a 200 or 300 tdi?

It has an EGR-valve, do these cause the same issues on a landrover as they do in many cars (coking up of inlet tracts following on from it, thus severely hampering airflow) and does simply disconnecting the plug on it leave it permanently shut?

How is the diff lock operated? And would the fact the light on the dash does not come on be indicative of diff issues or dash issues?

I know answers to these question could be found elsewhere but I know how many of you like your landy's.

Cheers, Daniel.

Stephen Briggs.

HI STEPHEN take out the EGR valve blank it off when the diffs in on full lock grabs when your turning allthe best jon

The linkage on the diff lock if prone to seizing if it is not used regularly, many aren't. work the lever hard from side to side to try and free off the linkage, try getting under and lubricating it too...

The stick moves easily, if that's any indication?

Stephen Briggs.

Depending on the age of the car there may not be any readily discernable differences between a 200 and 300

EGR bad, removal good

The diff lock is on the mechanical linkage if it’s in the diff lock position and the car drives its working, the light may not work because the switch is broken, bad wiring or a bulb out

Depending on the age of the car there may not be any readily discernable differences between a 200 and 300

EGR bad, removal good

The diff lock is on the mechanical linkage if it’s in the diff lock position and the car drives its working, the light may not work because the switch is broken, bad wiring or a bulb out

Cheers, it's an S reg.

EGR will be dealt with appropriately...

Diff lock light used to work, then stayed on sometimes, now does not come on at all. Was mildly worried it was actuator operated and not working. I've been ploughing through some heavy clay with a heavy trailer and desperate for traction...

Stephen Briggs.

On an S it will indeed most likely be one of the last 300's, assuming new when registered. 200 engine has bare rocker cover, 300 has black soundproofing cover over it.

You might need to crawl underneath and get someone to jiggle the linkage to work out what's wrong with the cdl. Presumably you can get low box ok? More likely to be linkage than transfer box itself....