Dwarfism

Jesse

OK, touchy subject, I know i'm not the tallest tree man out there, but its taken me a bit of time to raise this one. In the forces my height was not a problem nor is it now, but, we all know its a condition of the stature and as a result of genetic testing in the USA 4 feet 10 is the definitive bench mark, i'm just under that and wondered how that made people feel and how many other tree folk were of the same. I will say that my gate ,finger tip top finger tip is massive when spread out like a crucifix measures 5 feet 9 , today for the first time my groundy commented on how strange i look, i'd never thought about it until today. Don't know what sort of smilly face to put on this one so i wont.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think being short would hold you back as to being a climber,actually ive noticed that the best climbers are short and wirey. i knew a climber who was 6ft 7 in and weighed around 20st with all his climbing gear, and he said he was always worried that branches could take his weight. This is one profession that you stand head and shoulders above many others:thumbup1:

Bit intrigued, are you saying that fingertip to fingertip you are 5'9"

and stand under 4'10"?

Hmmm, never took any notice of that, im 5ft 10in and measure 5ft 4in from finger to finger, and i thought they were joking down the pub when they said i had short arms aand long pockets

I'm only a short chap, I'm 5,6 but I find I can whip around a tree quick but when it comes to chogging down with big saws its extremely tough and destroys my hips. I guess different climbers are good for different aspects of work its hard to have it all! I would have wanted to get down and slap him but then again I would have been accused of small man syndrome :confused:

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Edited by Joe Loggs

A "considerably shorter than I"climber colleague used to comment that I spent more time looking up at him, than he did me. I think he only said to make himself feel better. :001_smile: but though we'd joke about him lack of height, or my short sighted ness or hair colour (titian) there was ever any malice. So if your groundie was passing comment, didn't intend it to be rude, I would just pass it off as such. If he meant what he said to be taken as a nasty comment, then tell him in no uncertain terms what you think.