What age is to old

chipper080

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think youre too old to become a fast top of the range, all singing all dancing climber. It'll take say five years to be able to do anything thrown at you, which will make you around 38, most climbers seem to be looking to "retire" or slow down a bit by then. BUT you could become a handy climber still, nice and steady, to back up the no1 climber on a team, and of course Aerial rescue is a handy string to your bow. So to sum up, go for it, enjoy it. You've still got thirty odd years of work in you. :biggrin:

I would agree with this fully, wise post too:thumbup1:

thing about climbing is stamina and training your body and your mind to be comfortable and at ease in the canopy. That takes some time, around five years for a young man.

once your there its easy, and as long as you dont lay off for over a month at a time it remains easy untill you want to stop or your body is knackered!

My boss still gets up trees from time to time, he is 52 and still a very comercial climber, so you have loadsa time.:thumbup1:

I have a property in SW France which has quite a lot of Maritime Pines and Oaks on it. Some of the oaks are closish to the house and needed to be reduced so that they weren't a danger to the buildings, so I decided that I would do it.

I did some research, read some books and bought some gear. I also looked at this forum and watched quite a few videos on Youtube.

I went for the hitchclimber on DdRT and both climbed and cut the oaks over a two day period. The oaks were about 15m high and I reduced them by about 6, so nothing too high but they did need to be climbed.

It all went okay and the timber was all cut into logs and sticks with the very small stuff burnt.

I was quite pleased with myself as it all went pretty well. The only change I will make for next time is that I will climb on SRT and then switch to DdRT, because I think it requires less effort that way. I have bought some spikes and will have a go at dismantling some of the pines next time. They are about 25m high.

I am not trying to impress anyone as I don't do this for a living and don't even work in the trade, but I am 71 years old. So perhaps you are as old as you feel.

I have a property in SW France which has quite a lot of Maritime Pines and Oaks on it. Some of the oaks are closish to the house and needed to be reduced so that they weren't a danger to the buildings, so I decided that I would do it.

I did some research, read some books and bought some gear. I also looked at this forum and watched quite a few videos on Youtube.

I went for the hitchclimber on DdRT and both climbed and cut the oaks over a two day period. The oaks were about 15m high and I reduced them by about 6, so nothing too high but they did need to be climbed.

It all went okay and the timber was all cut into logs and sticks with the very small stuff burnt.

I was quite pleased with myself as it all went pretty well. The only change I will make for next time is that I will climb on SRT and then switch to DdRT, because I think it requires less effort that way. I have bought some spikes and will have a go at dismantling some of the pines next time. They are about 25m high.

I am not trying to impress anyone as I don't do this for a living and don't even work in the trade, but I am 71 years old. So perhaps you are as old as you feel.

Fantastic mate :thumbup::thumbup:

Aged 34 here, started @ 31 and now hold a level 3 in forestry and arb and just about to sit my 39.. to old, ha, I feel younger now than when I started and I'm betting that once the diary fills up I'll feel even younger... crack on mate... train hard and stay determined. That's all it takes:D:D:D

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Aged 34 here, started @ 31 and now hold a level 3 in forestry and arb and just about to sit my 39.. to old, ha, I feel younger now than when I started and I'm betting that once the diary fills up I'll feel even younger... crack on mate... train hard and stay determined. That's all it takes:D:D:D

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Thats the best way to be and thanks mwarb.

Determined is a good way forward:thumbup: