eucyalptus reduction

carlos

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks again i will disscuss the regrowth aspect futher with them, there are no cost implications(unfortuantly!) as its family.

i think i will have to reduce some of the longer/leaning end weighted at least.

i think thinning would deffinitly cause lions tailing as there kinda like that anyhow.

thanks carl

"At the end of the day you can only advice and then at least you have been honest with your client ,... just put across your concerns regarding how the trees will respond to a reduction, either badly or really badly (death) explain what costs are involved with all options and the extra cost involved if its felled for whatever reason shortly after..."

Before we express concerns perhaps we should first consider what they are based on. If we have limited experience (and we all have limited expreience) then we do not know what other treatments may lead to. So what seems like honest advice may be biased and might mislead.

" One other problem with thinning Gums , they tend not to have even branch formation much of the branch development occurs towards the branch tip making it difficult to leave a good form, Lion tailing could result"

true, so reduction may be better.

"Branches identified for retention could be damaged while working around the canopy ."

true, gotta be careful.

" Don't forget those trees look like babys to me and all that they want to do is be massive and bigger than the closely planted mates."

true, like most trees. High climbing ability and the right gear (poles if not mewp!) are needed. Again this is commonly done in euc land; i'll try to dig up some details...

Before we express concerns perhaps we should first consider what they are based on. If we have limited experience (and we all have limited expreience) then we do not know what other treatments may lead to. So what seems like honest advice may be biased and might mislead.

lets not define everyones capacity or experience huh, define yours by all means.:001_tt2:

Would there be a option to fell some and leave some that would give the best of both worlds.

that could be a possibilty, there seems to three categorys of tree

1- bad lean and form.

2- ok but bit leggy

3- nice enough dense crown.

so i guess down the line cat 1/2 may go, but they are the biggest trees on the site with no targets around( apart from other planting) so keen to keep as many as poss.

i think iam going to reduce and balance cat 1 tree,s and lightly reduce cat 2 tree,s and then maybey light thin on the cat 3 tree.

probably do sum tommorrow so may put up sum shots (or not!) depending how they look:lol: as there seems to be some reduction artists on arbtalk and iam pretty sure iam not one of them!

thanks carl.

"i think iam going to reduce and balance cat 1 tree,s and lightly reduce cat 2 tree,s and then maybey light thin on the cat 3 tree."

Formulating care protocols according to tree condition--the only way to go! :thumbup:

a trick i like to use on whippy trees is to pull the next tree/branch toward me using rope or polesaw (perhaps lashed to saddle) to stabilise.

"probably do sum tommorrow so may put up sum shots (or not!) depending how they look:lol: as there seems to be some reduction artists on arbtalk..."

well this wannabe artiste/artisan/artful codger knows that not all trees can be masterpieces, so i'd go easy on ya. Even those of us who are intimately connected to the infinity in the cosmos are still quite limited on the earthly realm, acknowledged or not. :001_tongue:

I get a heapin' helpin' of humble pie too often to dream otherwise...