Any arbtalking veg growers in da house?

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would be most welcome although not much happening at the moment due to poxy weather. You would like where they are too some big old trees on the farm.

SOLD! wait till the weather warms up and drop me a line, I wouldnt mind popping back to Moccas park too so will make a trip of it.:thumbup1:

beer and lunch on me

and have a couple of bantams for fresh eggs.

You surprise me Tony, I'd of had you down for saving and re-homing some ex-battery hens if you were to have some chucks.

Bantams lay pretty small eggs and are not very productive. I don't keep chucks myself but my sister does, she got 3 ex-battery hens last year to add to her brood of Bantams, Araucanas & Leghorns and they just lay eggs for Britain.

She originally rescued 4 ex battery, but one did'nt learn quick enough to tell the difference between a farm dog that does'nt even bother to look up when your pecking round his head and a hungry fox. That happened the in the 1st week, but at least the other 3 quickly learnt what to do the next time when Mr.Fox sidles his way into yard.

Edited by Gnarlyoak

nothing more satisfying than grow your own

i have an allotment and use it to the max

a lot of people are fair weather growers but even now it's parsnips leeks cabbage broccoli and celeriac on the table

the only advise i'd give is keep a diary of variety, time of sow/planting and quantity

it's to easy to forget what you have succeeded/failed with

if you have the room freeze what you can if you have a glut

and get a good book on preserving ie chutneys relishes and jam if you have fruit

unfortunately i don't save seed and i usually buy F1 varieties as these generally have more resistance to pests and diseases than some of the heritage/heirloom varieties

You surprise me Tony, I'd of had you down for saving and re-homing some ex-battery hens if you were to have some chucks.

Bantams lay pretty small eggs and are not very productive. I don't keep chucks myself but my sister does, she got 3 ex-battery hens last year to add to her brood of Bantams, Araucanas & Leghorns and they just lay eggs for Britain.

She originally rescued 4 ex battery, but one did'nt learn quick enough to tell the difference between a farm dog that does'nt even bother to look up when your pecking round his head and a hungry fox. That happened the in the 1st week, but at least the other 3 quickly learnt what to do the next time when Mr.Fox sidles his way into yard.

I did consider the ex batteries approach, and did not know bantams where low yield, so thanks, always fancied the breed was the thing I guess

Just have garlic in the ground at the moment (still eating last years crop). Used to grow loads of stuff, had a polytunnel full of tomatoes, peppers etc. But as i've got busier with woodland work etc. its gradually been neglected and i'm just growing staples like onions,garlic, carrots&potatoes. Want to get back into it again though..