Where are the heavy duty tow vehicles?

blades

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to "4x4" magazine, January edition pick up test, these are the max towing weights for the popular pick ups:

Mitsubishi L200 Trojan - 2700KG

Toyota Hilux Invincible - 2800KG

Nissan Navara Tekna - 2600KG

Isuzu D Max - 3000KG

VW Amarok - 3200KG

Ford Ranger Wildtrak - 3350KG

I agree, rather then try and bring the defender down to compete with all the jap trucks (of which there are loads) why not really go full hog and design a utilitarian beast capable of serious towing designed purely at farmers/contractors etc, surely the market is big enough?

But surely the fact that so many contractors and farmers use non Land Rover pick ups shows that Land Rovers traditional market is no longer there, they have not moved sufficiently with the times. They should have made a Discovery pick up when they first introduced it, the commercial van variant was always very popular. I have been and still am a Land Rover enthusiast and think they should have offered the military models to the civilian market with a big options list so those that want no space for their right arm, cramped cab, crap heater, more leaks than a Welsh fete and invariable build quality and reliability could have it.

I've just had a bit of a Google and the Ranger has definitely had an upgrade to 3500kg, but in the Australian Market.

I assume this should filter through to the UK shortly as it seems to have involved some strengthening of the Chassis to get the additional capacity.

Worth a call at least to a dealer to check?

Please no more Landrover v Jap plus all the sorry Landrover gags, some of us just have to live with all the faults and look at the positives because nothing else can replace them at present.

Eddie.

I've just had a bit of a Google and the Ranger has definitely had an upgrade to 3500kg, but in the Australian Market.

I assume this should filter through to the UK shortly as it seems to have involved some strengthening of the Chassis to get the additional capacity.

Worth a call at least to a dealer to check?

Please no more Landrover v Jap plus all the sorry Landrover gags, some of us just have to live with all the faults and look at the positives because nothing else can replace them at present.

Eddie.

Since Ford have taken over production of the Ranger with the new model, towing capacity has increased to 3350KG for the UK market. Only problem is there is such a demand for them apparently, there is a long waiting list.

Edited by rovers90
spelling

I agree, rather then try and bring the defender down to compete with all the jap trucks (of which there are loads) why not really go full hog and design a utilitarian beast capable of serious towing designed purely at farmers/contractors etc, surely the market is big enough?

Before ditching my Defender I read as much as possible about the new one. I understand the market you speak of is minuscule compared to selling a "Defender" to an American or someone from Asia. Hence if they change the Defender into something that will pass all the strict emission tests globally they can tap into a much bigger market and sell something inferior to people who are desperate to own it. Good luck to them.

Since Ford have taken over production of the Ranger with the new model, towing capacity has increased to 3350KG for the UK market. Only problem is there is such a demand for them apparently, there is a long waiting list.

The Australian upgrade is from the 3350kg to 3500kg on this latest model, and I can't see why we won't get it?

Eddie.

To be honest- im not fussed if they stop the current defender, i know alot of people with the newer models and they are the worst of both worlds as far as i can see, all the leaky roofs/no arm room etc etc but only with far more electrics to go wrong then the (IMO) heyday of landrover which was 200/300 tdi. Local farmer has a new one and has been back to the deakler 16 times in 2 years.

As far as i am concerened anyone who currently owns a defender should be able to make it last as long as they want it to, with a galvanised chassis/bulkhead and as long as there is aftermarket replacement parts a defender could outlive all of us BUT emmision controls are likely to be the killer:thumbdown:

Thanks for everyones input.... it's great reading opinions

I had started leaning towards a Hilux, the reliability is a plus and from what I can see they hold their price quite well. I think now I'm starting to sway a little towards the Ranger... the better tow cabability is appealling and the more I look at it I think the more I prefer it's looks to a hilux. I guess my concerns would be is it as reliable as a hilux and what would it hold it's price like?? The cost new seems steep as well?

But she does look hot :thumbup1:

Ford-Ranger_Wildtrak_2012_1600x1200_wallpaper_01.jpg.de092718565d24c9e3f7f9144b2d5d0b.jpg