Country file, about biomass

Pat Ferrett

Hi Goaty I was trying to do the sums to see if it was worth stacking the chip up in a mates yard and going halfs with him if he loaded it on the trucks.

I should have explained better :blushing:

we looked into doing this 2 yrs ago when chip was around £110 ton... 3 months later it came down to £50 ton...

then we had load softwood [which we still have unfelled] to be felled and i could buy it from £15 ton+ roadside...

i thought buy 1000 ton.. say £20000 plus haulage.. store it in yard for 3-4 months.. loose 20% due to moisture loss so 800 ton... around £5000 to get it chipped [although we would buy a chipper if all went well] so £80000 less chipping, haulage etc.. still very good profit for short and relitavly little outlay..

think it is up to £100 ton again but what if it goes down!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe your sadly true, same Krap over here using a food source to destroy engines for the sake of a corn lobby. Private industry would never invest in such a scam since they could and would go to jail. Tougher to throw the crooks in jail when they own them and have the keys as well.

easy-lift guy

Extension lead!!!:thumbup:

You laugh but I cant see a reason why they cant just send the electric, we have gas and oil pipe lines.

I admit my knowledge of elecricity is zero but signals were sent across the atlantic 100 years ago along cables and other cables conect us to the US.

I believe your sadly true, same Krap over here using a food source to destroy engines for the sake of a corn lobby. Private industry would never invest in such a scam since they could and would go to jail. Tougher to throw the crooks in jail when they own them and have the keys as well.

easy-lift guy

People have been jailed and had death threats for developing hydrogen powered cars!:thumbdown:

There is a power cable from France to the UK. Send power back and forwards at peak times (so French nuclear makes up for wind not blowing turbines etc).

BUT Canada aint 22 miles away. To send large amounts of power the grid works at high volts/low current hence 500000volts on pylons. Imagine the insulation you need on a 500kV cable in 2000 feet water?

Long comms cables now are fibre optics transmitting laser pulses, not loads of power.

When the bobbles make the grid bury a cables, what would be on a single pylon run is about 6 massive cables spread in a trench 50m wide to stop overheating!

You laugh but I cant see a reason why they cant just send the electric, we have gas and oil pipe lines.

I thought trasmission loss would be to great over long distance, but that doesn't seem the case.

From wiki

As of 1980, the longest cost-effective distance for DC electricity was determined to be 7,000 km (4,300 mi). For AC it was 4,000 km (2,500 mi), though all transmission lines in use today are substantially shorter.

So maybe not totally impossible but most likely polictically unfeasible.

See also Desertec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia