Large Woody Debris

Charlieh

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gloves can pose more of danger than a benefit when working in water. They make handling a saw and operating the controls akward. I work in rivers a lot and rarely use chainsaw gloves some times the the thin rubber grip glove but never chainsaw gloves.

If you think about a modern chainsaw both hands are well protected. its all about calculated risks.

gloves can pose more of danger than a benefit when working in water. They make handling a saw and operating the controls akward. I work in rivers a lot and rarely use chainsaw gloves some times the the thin rubber grip glove but never chainsaw gloves.

If you think about a modern chainsaw both hands are well protected. its all about calculated risks.

just thought id point out a little safety,the gloves are a pest i must admit..

i always were at least1... if and when a chain snaps...ooouuuch:scared1:

the gloves are the same place as my chainsaw protective boots and life jacket............

in the truck, my risk assesment for the job indicated why i dont have either on, as i feel that chainsaw boots would be imposible to carry out the work in as some of the places i was wading in were above waist deep, i was working with 5 other people on site so i felt the life jacket was not required, the only gloves i would consider are the neoprene ones for this work, with the fingers tips cut off

Matt how do you go on with PPE and drysuit? regarding footware specifically

Matt how do you go on with PPE and drysuit? regarding footware specifically

My drysuit was a hand-me-down from my old chargehand, it was specially made for him and has chainsaw wellies attached! cost 900quid new! I don't wear it that often hence why we can't justify getting me a new one at the moment. Getting Hiflex on under it is hard. I usually wear it if cutting stood in the bed when the water is over waist height as the splashes are enough to soak me through. Like you I assess every job on its own merits before inssiting on life jackets.

am i correct in thinking that you are actually supposed to do special training for using a drysuit, or am i just thinking of diving? i know on my diving training im not allowed to use a drysuit, just thought i remember some ea mates saying they had training in wearing them?

am i correct in thinking that you are actually supposed to do special training for using a drysuit, or am i just thinking of diving? i know on my diving training im not allowed to use a drysuit, just thought i remember some ea mates saying they had training in wearing them?

I don't know about a drysuit specific course. But we covered using a drysuit on the 2 day waterside safety course. Though different areas do different training some times!