RFS certificate in arboriculture

haforbes

I was wondering if anyone on here has taken the RFS certificate in arboriculture home study course and how they got on with it? How much study time did you put in? How did you rate the course? How did it compare to any other training/study that you've done? And any more detail as to what's covered in the course? + any other useful information about it would be great :001_smile: Thanks

I'd also like to know any responses.

My options are either RFS online, RFS with one evening a week at local college (3pm-7pm so getting away from work could be tricky).

But i might just go straight into the AA Tech Cert. Thoughts? (sorry for thread hijack)

Did it as one evening a week some years ago, took two attempts as the first exam went way off syllabus and got many complaints...believe it's now non-exam with lots of course work? Probably not much help in terms of self study, but the course itself taught me a lot.

Course was good. I spent about 10 hours a week on the coursework from Hort Correspondence College. I didn't really have anyone to speak with about it though which made it hard to find some things out. I stressed myself sufficently about the coursework that the exams weren't half as bad as I thought. If you have someone to speak with about the subjects then do it without going to college. Otherwise, do the one day a week thing.

I'd also like to know any responses.

My options are either RFS online, RFS with one evening a week at local college (3pm-7pm so getting away from work could be tricky).

But i might just go straight into the AA Tech Cert. Thoughts? (sorry for thread hijack)

RFS is the right stepping stone to tech cert - (get a RFS credit pass)

I wouldnt take tech cert unless you have had a few yrs experience and study of Arboriculture

RFS is the right stepping stone to tech cert - (get a RFS credit pass)

I wouldnt take tech cert unless you have had a few yrs experience and study of Arboriculture

I thought as much, I do have a level 2 qualification and 4 years experience however, so should be fine with the RFS (or ABC as it's called now).

I'll do the RFS/ABC this year, then 2 or 3 years down the line do the Tech Cert. :thumbup1:

This would be the first studying I've done since my A levels which was a fair few years ago now, what kind of level is the RFS course at?? Say in comparison with A levels? Is it a gentle easing into the study of arboriculture? I don't have a great deal of practical experience in the field but I have some and I try and read as much as possible, I'm currently working my way through Modern Arboriculture by Alex Shigo which I'm not struggling with too much although it is written in a fairly strange way, although I'm slowly getting my head around it.

You should be fine with the RFS course mate. It's the first step most take for the theory side of Arb (if they haven't done an NC or ND at college). I could probably do the Tech Cert if i didn't have so many other commitments going on this year, should just about fit in time for the RFS.

This would be the first studying I've done since my A levels which was a fair few years ago now, what kind of level is the RFS course at?? Say in comparison with A levels? Is it a gentle easing into the study of arboriculture? I don't have a great deal of practical experience in the field but I have some and I try and read as much as possible, I'm currently working my way through Modern Arboriculture by Alex Shigo which I'm not struggling with too much although it is written in a fairly strange way, although I'm slowly getting my head around it.

It not as high as A level academically -it has good practical imput - some experience in the field would be an advantage but if your good, not essential if you are mad for it

I did the RFS online before I had acquired any experience in the industry, I was driven by the fact that I needed to get out of my old job badly. Managed to pass with a merit...best thing I did too, set me right up. Its true that you need discipline, but if the subject interests you and you really want it you'll find the time. And I'm loving being an arborist now, best job in the world.