How much can you fell without a license?

I'm in the process of buying a small farm to live on as a smallholding and open as a small campsite.

Within our 23 acres we have 6 acres of broadleafed woodland that will be cared for and managed as part of that, offering bushcraft courses and other wildlife education.

in another part of the site we have a stand of approximately 90 larch trees (I believe, I need to check this), photos shown below. We think they're 15-20 years old. They're in a part of the site that we'd like to clear for camping and to plant with some other more suitable native trees around the campsite spaces. They're tall and straight and seem ideal for our building plans.

Would we need a license to fell them as they're not really a woodland as such, just a small stand of trees. Are there any penalties if we just fell them for our own on-site use? We plan to use them for tent/yurt platforms and, longer term, framing and cladding a site office/reception/shop building.

Also, how would we best remove the roots after felling?

Thanks for your help.

DSC_6976_zps9de88695.jpg

DSC_6975_zpsf1711604.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the process of buying a small farm to live on as a smallholding and open as a small campsite.

Within our 23 acres we have 6 acres of broadleafed woodland that will be cared for and managed as part of that, offering bushcraft courses and other wildlife education.

in another part of the site we have a stand of approximately 90 larch trees (I believe, I need to check this), photos shown below. We think they're 15-20 years old. They're in a part of the site that we'd like to clear for camping and to plant with some other more suitable native trees around the campsite spaces. They're tall and straight and seem ideal for our building plans.

Would we need a license to fell them as they're not really a woodland as such, just a small stand of trees. Are there any penalties if we just fell them for our own on-site use? We plan to use them for tent/yurt platforms and, longer term, framing and cladding a site office/reception/shop building.

Also, how would we best remove the roots after felling?

Thanks for your help.

DSC_6976_zps9de88695.jpg

DSC_6975_zpsf1711604.jpg

A felling license applies to the site , not the person . It is a certain amount per an allocated time frame I seem to remember . I don't think you need one for that small amount in the pic . It would be wise however to check that you are nopt in a conservation area or that there are no TPOs on any thing you want to fell .

A felling license applies to the site , not the person . It is a certain amount per an allocated time frame I seem to remember . I don't think you need one for that small amount in the pic . It would be wise however to check that you are nopt in a conservation area or that there are no TPOs on any thing you want to fell .

almost certain, you would need one for the amount in the pics.

You might find this useful:

Forestry Commission - Felling licences exemptions

You'll see that a lot depends on size of tree - both for exemptions and for what falls below the allowance (5m3/calendar quarter if you're using it yourself).

You may also find this useful for working out how many trees that is:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/TimberVolumeCalculator.pdf/$FILE/TimberVolumeCalculator.pdf

It's hard to tell from the photo, but for argument's sake, if they're 200mm mid-diameter, in 6m lengths, you could take the lot down over four calendar quarters, so just over a year.

I have no idea on replanting requirements though - so if it was mine I'd check that too.

Alec

p.s. they don't look like larch to me, and if that's a recent photo they're definitely not (larch is deciduous). They also look rather older than 20yrs.

Could be Douglas Fir or Norway Spruce its not larch going on the last picture.

The others are correct its 5 cubic metres per calender quarter, however it normally applies to timber going to a saw mill. We have recently taken down 5 very large oaks, totally around 15m3 but there was only 5m3 of butts. You could do it without a license possibly but it would be over a year, and i would assume with you plans you want it ready for the summer.