Hello, new member looking for some chainsaw advice please.

mr_magicfingers

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As mentioned above don't get chainsaw wellies...worst thing I have ever put on my feet (wasn't even using a saw at the time)! I would get a good quality boot, a decent brand is Haix. As for chaps/trousers I would definately buy trousers, more comfort and protection. If your gonna be wearing your kit regularly for extended amounts of time then you want good quality stuff that is comfy as well as safe.

Very sound advice there, the wellies are awful. and its easy to get quite warm felling as it is so i dread to think what having chaps on over trousers would do!

Hi mate where in Devon are you? I did Lantra quals through Devon Association of Small Holders. It cost about £15 a year to join and the courses were about £300 for the cross cutting and maintenance and small tree felling. The guy who runs the course is Mark Isted from near Newton Abbott. He is a great bloke and runs a very professional course. You may even be to make a deal with them for the use of your woodland for training getting a cheap course and your wood cleared????????

Hi mate where in Devon are you? I did Lantra quals through Devon Association of Small Holders. It cost about £15 a year to join and the courses were about £300 for the cross cutting and maintenance and small tree felling. The guy who runs the course is Mark Isted from near Newton Abbott. He is a great bloke and runs a very professional course. You may even be to make a deal with them for the use of your woodland for training getting a cheap course and your wood cleared????????

Someone else mentioned them this morning to me. The lantra course is much cheaper than the nctp courses, but not sure if they'll cover as much. 30/31 is 5 days as opposed to two. I think the lantra course would be fine if I'm not felling lots of trees though.

Will definitely be joining DASH when we move though. We'll be in Yarnscombe, near Great Torrington.

Good idea on the woodland, will get in touch with them and find out once the sale is all signed off.

Alot of people recommending the husky 550 and 560, a very vry fine saw but probably overkill for yourself. I think a semi pro saw would be more suitable such as the husky rancher range.

Also for the sake of £80 it may be worth while taking the cs 30 and 31 assessment.

Someone else mentioned them this morning to me. The lantra course is much cheaper than the nctp courses, but not sure if they'll cover as much. 30/31 is 5 days as opposed to two. I think the lantra course would be fine if I'm not felling lots of trees though.

Will definitely be joining DASH when we move though. We'll be in Yarnscombe, near Great Torrington.

Good idea on the woodland, will get in touch with them and find out once the sale is all signed off.

I done the lantra course but the nptc assessment. I really didn't think there was anything the lantra part left out to be honest.