Customer service and marketing

jaime bray

Dear All,

I have asked the Arboricultural Association if they would consider putting on a customer services course and also possibly look at other areas of what are deemed soft skills for businesses.

The course would be aimed at smaller businesses operating within the Arboricultural industry.

From what I hear in conversations with many people in the industry and from some customers when i go to do quotes, our industry seems to struggle with the other side of running a business;i.e. the soft skills and communication.

What would be the general consensus from arbtalkers? Do you think that you would benefit from something like this? Would you pay to attend for the day to learn the ins and outs of good customer service, good marketing skills, how to sell your product and how to communicate; both wihtin your company and with your client base.

I have already found a good provider of the varying skills mentioned and I am looking to put together a few events around the country for the industry.

These courses would be ran by the AA using external expert assistance as the provider of the course content and will compliment any other courses already available, but I personally think that this is a skill that is lacking in some aspects of our industry.

Please feel free to give your opinions on the subject, also please mention what type of figure you would be prepared to pay for these type of courses. Im thinking somewhere in the bracket of £40-£80, one of the factors will be provision of food. If people require food to be laid on then this will affect the venue choice also the price, however if people are more than happy bringing their own lunch then this reduces the requirements of the venue and also the costing for the event.

What do you think?

Many thanks!!!

Jaime Bray Chairman of the AAs Arborist Working Group (AWG)

Thanks for the response Steve, What particular aspects do you feel would need covering, I personally think that there are several courses to be made from the soft skills sector of business and that it would not be beneficial to cram it all into one day as the subject matters are to in depth.

I would envisage the course possibly being run like a road show type event, similiar to the AAs BS3998 and5837 courses.

I will use the feedback from this thread to direct the AA in their decision of whether its viable to look at the issue and provide the skill training as a trade body or just let people go elsewhere and find it. But we all know we are unlikely to seek it. To busy watching snow these days.

definetly marketing Jamie. Not sure you can teach someone to talk to a customer, they either have it or they dont. One thing that needs looking at is peoples general approach to pricing, ie, how to price properly to make a profit rather than pulling a figure out of thin air with the single aim of winning work. I suppose that isnt really either customer service or marketing, but needs looked at IMO

definetly marketing Jamie. Not sure you can teach someone to talk to a customer, they either have it or they dont. One thing that needs looking at is peoples general approach to pricing, ie, how to price properly to make a profit rather than pulling a figure out of thin air with the single aim of winning work. I suppose that isnt really either customer service or marketing, but needs looked at IMO

Pricing would be a hard task, with the varying prices on here from everyone it would turn into a riot.

Re. Customer services, things like how to answer the phone professionally, how to keep clients in the know, ettiquette within business, follow up calls, etc. All would benefit retention of customers over longer periods of time.

You do realise that if they run this course for everyone, then nobody gains from it because we are all that much better at marketing ourselves.

I don't want all my competitors becoming more competitive - only me!

The selfish giant.